TORONTO, Canada -- Monster Energy AMA Supercross, an FIM World Championship, made its first and only visit outside the United States with much success as 42,083 devoted Canadian fans packed into Toronto's Rogers Centre for the 10th stop of the 2010 season. It was another strong night for Monster Energy Kawasaki's Ryan Villopoto, of Poulsbo, Wash., as he raced to his fifth win of the year. GEICO Powersports Honda's Justin Barcia, of Ochlocknee, Ga., captured the AMA Supercross Lites checkered flag for his first-career win.
As the gates dropped on the premier AMA Supercross class main event, Honda Red Bull Racing's Trey Canard, of Shawnee, Okla., grabbed the Spike Holeshot Award followed by Valli Motorsports/Rockstar Yamaha's Ivan Tedesco, of Murrieta, Calif., and Villopoto. Prior to the conclusion of the first lap, Villopoto made his move for the lead around Canard and went on to lead all 20-laps of the main event.
"I really wouldn't be in this position without all of my team and everyone involved," said Villopoto. "The last couple weeks we've been on it and it's what we need to do. (The racing is) close and it's been tough. I need to make up ground and I got to make those passes quick. I (also) need to keep getting good starts."
Current points leader Ryan Dungey, of Belle Plaine, Minn., started the race in fourth but worked his way into second place on lap five and ran there the rest of the way aboard his Rockstar/Makita Suzuki, minimizing Villopoto's advantage. Canard held on for third, his third straight podium result.
After a dominating start to the AMA Supercross Lites Eastern Regional Championship by Monster Energy/Pro Circuit/Kawasaki's Christophe Pourcel, of Groveland, Fla., Barcia became just the second different winner this season in the class after grabbing the Spike Holeshot Award and leading all 15 laps of the main event. Rockstar/Makita Suzuki's Austin Stroupe, of Lincolnton, Fla., kept Barcia honest throughout the race by running a close second and went on to garner his fourth consecutive runner-up finish. The battle for third was close between Pourcel and his Monster Energy/Pro Circuit/Kawasaki teammate and Canadian native Dean Wilson, of San Jacinto, Calif., but the defending Eastern Regional Champion was able to secure the third and final spot on the podium.
"(This win) means everything to me," exclaimed Barcia. "I really want to thank my mom and dad and my team, GEICO Powersports Honda. All these fans here were cheering me on so thanks a lot to everyone. It's an incredible feeling, I've been trying so hard all year. This definitely ranks at the top of my list as far as accomplishments and I feel to lucky to have such a great team behind me."
Dungey currently holds a 17-point lead over Villopoto in the AMA Supercross standings. Pourcel leads Stroupe by seven points in the AMA Supercross Lites Eastern Regional Championship. The 2010 Monster Energy AMA Supercross season continues next weekend from the brand new Cowboys Stadium in Arlington, Texas.
AMA Supercross Class Results: Toronto
1. Ryan Villopoto, Poulsbo, Wash., Kawasaki
2. Ryan Dungey, Belle Plaine, Minn., Suzuki
3. Trey Canard, Shawnee, Okla., Honda
4. Ivan Tedesco, Murrieta, Calif., Yamaha
5. Kevin Windham, Centerville, Miss., Honda
6. Josh Hill, Carlsbad, Calif., Yamaha
7. Nick Wey, Murrieta, Calif., Kawasaki
8. Tommy Hahn, Alvord, Texas, Suzuki
9. Justin Brayton, Murrieta, Calif., Yamaha
10. Matt Boni, Geneva, Fla., Honda
AMA Supercross Class Season Standings
1. Ryan Dungey, Belle Plaine, Minn., Suzuki, 214
2. Ryan Villopoto, Poulsbo, Wash., Kawasaki, 197
3. Josh Hill, Carlsbad, Calif., Yamaha, 177
4. Davi Millsaps, Murrieta, Calif., Honda, 152
5. Kevin Windham, Centerville, Miss., Honda, 147
6. Justin Brayton, Murrieta, Calif., Yamaha, 136
7. Ivan Tedesco, Murrieta, Calif., Yamaha, 135
8. Nick Wey, Murrieta, Calif., Kawasaki, 113
9. Kyle Chisholm, Valrico, Fla., Yamaha, 92
10. Tommy Hahn, Alvord, Texas, Suzuki, 89
Eastern Regional AMA Supercross Lites Class Results: Toronto
1. Justin Barcia, Ochlocknee, Ga., Honda
2. Austin Stroupe, Lincolnton, N.C., Suzuki
3. Christophe Pourcel, Groveland, Fla., Kawasak
4. Dean Wilson, San Jacinto, Calif., Kawasaki
5. Ryan Sipes, Vine Grove, Ky., Yamaha
6. Brett Metcalfe, Lake Elsinore, Calif., Honda
7. Kyle Cunningham, Fort Worth, Texas, Honda
8. Troy Adams, Homosassa, Fla., Suzuki
9. Mike Willard, Newark, Ohio, Honda
10. Nico Izzi, Albany, Ga., Yamaha
Eastern Regional AMA Supercross Lites Class Season Standings
1. Christophe Pourcel, Groveland, Fla., Kawasaki, 95
2. Austin Stroupe, Lincolnton, N.C., Suzuki, 88
3. Dean Wilson, San Jacinto, Calif., Kawasaki, 71
4. Brett Metcalfe, Lake Elsinore, Calif., Honda, 65
5. Justin Barcia, Ochlocknee, Ga., Honda, 64
6. Ryan Sipes, Vine Grove, Ky., Yamaha, 55
7. Blake Baggett, Grand Terrace, Calif., Suzuki, 46
8. Nico Izzi, Albany, Ga., Yamaha, 41
9. Kyle Cunningham, Fort Worth, Texas, Honda, 40
10. Vince Friese, Cape Girardeau, Mo., 39