The Dallas Mavericks topped the Boston Celtics on Monday night in Dallas, but it was Rajon Rondo's latest stat-sheet stuffing performance that caught our eye. Rondo posted 15 assists and five steals, pushing his season averages to 14.8 APG and 3.1 SPG.
• Rondo now has at least 10 assists and three steals in five straight games. That is the longest such streak by an NBA player since John Stockton did so in five straight in 1991-92.
MOST AST IN 1st 8 GAMES OF SEASON
• According to the Elias Sports Bureau, his 118 assists through eight games are the second-most an NBA player has ever had in the first eight games of the season. That record belongs to Stockton, who posted 135 assists in his first eight games back in 1989-90. Stockton set a still-standing NBA record that season by averaging 14.5 APG.
• He has posted at least 15 assists in a game five times this season. That matches the total number of 15-assist games that every other NBA player combined has had so far this season.
• Rondo has had at least five steals in a game seven times over the last two seasons. Only Monta Ellis has done this more often over this span.
Let's take a look at some other notes from Monday's action:
• Dwight Howard led the Orlando Magic to a win over the Atlanta Hawks as he put up 27 points and 11 rebounds. He has scored 79 points over his last three games and has scored at least 18 points in each game this season. Howard has displayed a little more range in his offensive arsenal this season. According to Hoopdata, Howard has hit eight field goals from 10 feet and beyond this season after hitting just 19 such shots all of last season. Perhaps his summer work with Hakeem Olajuwon is paying some dividends.
• Memphis Grizzlies power forward Zach Randolph had his third straight double-double and seems fully recovered from the tailbone injury he suffered in a season-opening loss to the Atlanta Hawks. He put up 23 points and 20 rebounds as the Grizzlies avenged an earlier loss to the Phoenix Suns. It's his fifth career 20-20 game, with three of them coming over the last two seasons. Dwight Howard is the only other NBA player with three 20-20 games in the last two seasons.
• The Golden State Warriors improved to 5-2 on the season as they picked up their first road win of the season over the Toronto Raptors. Stephen Curry scored a season-high 34 points, with 16 of them coming in the fourth quarter. The 5-2 start is the team's best seven-game start since a 6-1 start to the 1994-95 season. Unfortunately for the Warriors, that team finished 26-56 and failed to make the playoffs.