Posted by ESPN.com's Heather Dinich
Virginia Tech opens practice at 4:30 p.m. on Wednesday, and coach Frank Beamer had a teleconference on Monday to answer a few questions about the 2009 season. I'll have more on the Hokies eventually, but here are a few quick highlights:
• The status of receiver Zach Luckett (a projected 2008 starter who was suspended indefinitely last August) has not changed.
• Ju-Ju Clayton is listed as the No. 2 quarterback behind Tyrod Taylor, but Beamer said tight end Greg Boone needs some reps at quarterback this spring. Beamer isn't quite sure yet how the reps will be divided this spring. Freshman Marcus Davis is another candidate, and he'll start at quarterback full time instead of receiver.
• The following players will miss spring practices with injuries: Cam Martin, Sergio Render, Andre Smith, Jason Worilds, Randall Dunn, and Kenny Lewis. Davon Morgan will have limited work, and won't do any full-speed hitting this spring. The good news? Brandon Dillard is back and expected to be full speed.
• John Graves' move from defensive tackle to defensive end is a long-term move. "The fact is we need another defensive end or two to show up," Beamer said. "We're going to see how that works this spring."
• Stephan Virgil moved from field corner to boundary corner to replace Macho Harris. "I think Stephan is the guy that's played in a lot of ball games, really came along, played well last year," Beamer said. "He follows a couple of pretty good guys that's been in the boundary corner, and he's in the same group."
• Barquell Rivers has the inside track at inside linebacker, but Beamer said the position is "wide open."