Let’s review the choices:
Denver, No. 2
Kiper’s pick: Marcell Dareus, DT, Alabama
McShay’s Pick: Dareus
My thoughts: That’s what I’m thinking, too. Dareus is too special and he’d help this defense too much for Denver to bypass him.
San Diego, No. 18
Kiper’s pick: Muhammad Wilkerson, DL, Temple
My thoughts: Pass-rushers seem to last longer on Kiper’s board longer than they do on McShay’s board. San Diego would be very satisfied to get a player of Wilkerson’s ability at No. 18.
McShay’s Pick: Aldon Smith, DE, Missouri
My thoughts: Smith would also be a solid pick and he may be even of a better fit than Wilkerson in San Diego.
Kansas City, No. 21
Kiper’s pick: Akeem Ayers, LB, UCLA
My thoughts: McShay has Ayers going in the second round, long after the top pass-rushers. I think he will go in the first round. Perhaps Kansas City could trade down a few spots and grab him.
McShay’s Pick: Gabe Carimi, OT, Wisconsin
My thoughts: I think the Chiefs would rather get a top pass-rusher, but they would be pleased to get a tackle of Carimi’s ability. But I think it would be a Plan-B scenario.
Oakland does not have a first-round pick. It traded its pick (No. 17) to New England for defensive tackle Richard Seymour in September 2009.
36. Denver Rahim Moore S UCLA
46. Denver (from Miami) Kyle Rudolph TE Notre Dame
48. Oakland Clint Boling OL Georgia
50. San Diego Randall Cobb WR Kentucky
55. Kansas City Orlando Franklin OL Miami (Fla)
61. San Diego (from NY Jets) Ras-I Dowling CB Virginia
My thoughts: This would be a solid round for each team. Denver’s defense would continue to get better with the best safety in the draft. The Chiefs would add yet another offensive lineman. The Raiders would address their top need and the Chargers would add two interesting skill players. Dowling could be a star.
36. Denver Rudolph
46. Denver (from Miami) Moore
48. Oakland Jimmy Smith CB Colorado
50. San Diego Allen Bailey DE Miami (FL)
55. Kansas City Kelvin Sheppard ILB LSU
61. San Diego (from NY Jets) Jonathan Baldwin WR Pittsburgh
My thoughts: It’s interesting that McShay and Kiper have the same two players going to Denver in the round at different spots. What sticks out in this group, though, is Colorado cornerback Jimmy Smith going to Oakland. That would be a major score. Yes, Smith has big character questions, but he’d be worth the risk at No. 48 and be good insurance if Nnamdi Asomugha leaves in free agency. Kiper has Smith going much earlier than McShay. I like the choice of Bailey for San Diego, but Baldwin may be risky.
67. Denver Christian Ballard DL Iowa
81. Oakland Chimdi Chekwa CB Ohio St.
82. San Diego Marcus Cannon OT TCU
86. Kansas City Greg Salas WR Hawaii
89. San Diego (from Seattle) Akeem Dent LB Georgia
My thoughts: San Diego’s two picks here stick out. Cannon is massive and would be a good project. Dent could soon be a solid contributor.
67. Denver Quan Sturdivant LB North Carolina
81. Oakland Virgil Green TE Nevada
82. San Diego Lee Ziemba OT Auburn
86. Kansas City Tandon Doss WR Indiana
89. San Diego (from Seattle) Colin McCarthy LB Miami (FL)
My thoughts: Green is a great talent, but if Zach Miller stays, he won’t be needed. I also like Ziemba and Doss.
What’s your thoughts on all these projected picks? Fill up the comment section below with your thoughts.