TEMPE, Ariz. -- It’s not just how teams finish in the NFL.
To Arizona Cardinals coach Bruce Arians, it’s also how they start. Arians was “extremely pleased” with how Arizona began the game and the second half, two areas of emphasis this season. The Cardinals scored a touchdown on their first possession of the game and then a field goal to start the third quarter.
Other news from Arians’ Monday news conference:
• Justin Bethel is going through concussion protocol and his return date is unknown.
• Teddy Williams will be placed on injured reserved after having surgery to repair a torn Achilles tendon.
• Arizona saw more screen passes against Jacksonville than it has all season, Arians said.
• Arians said the ref couldn’t find his whistle when Arians called a timeout with 4:46 left in the third quarter that negated a Carson Palmer interception. That’s why the play was allowed to begin.
• The Cards struggle to run the game against 4-3 defenses that use big defensive tackles at defensive end, Arians said.
• Arians said the coaching staff has discussed using Tyrann Mathieu to return punts the last two weeks and will address it again this week, but Arians called it a “Catch 22” because Mathieu also logs a lot of snaps on defense, like current returner Patrick Peterson.