NFL.com just finished unveiling its list of the top 100 players in the league heading into the 2011 season, as voted by both players and fans. Both groups had separate lists, but seven Big 12 players landed on it. Here's where they were placed:
3. Adrian Peterson, RB, Minnesota (Oklahoma; ranked seventh by fans)
33. Jamaal Charles, RB, Kansas City (Texas; ranked 48th by fans)
50. Wes Welker, WR, New England (Texas Tech; ranked 50th by fans)
51. Ndamukong Suh, DT, Detroit (Nebraska; ranked 20th by fans)
55. Carl Nicks, OL, New Orleans (Nebraska; unranked by fans)
57. Andre Gurode, OL, Dallas (Colorado; unranked by fans)
86. Josh Freeman, QB, Tampa Bay (Kansas State; ranked 88th by fans)
Note: Considering they played in the Big 12 for the duration of their careers, Suh, Nicks and Gurode are all included in the Big 12, rather than their respective programs' new conferences.
Here's how it compares to the rest of the conferences:
Big East: 16
Big Ten: 13
Big 12: 7
Notre Dame: 1
Non-AQ/Small schools: 27
I was surprised the number was so low compared to the rest of the conferences, but hey, what can you do? The Big East rules college football. No one denies this.
No Big 12 player snubs popped out to me, but what about you? Anyone missing?