Posted by ESPN.com's Brian Bennett
The departure of starting kicker Shane Raupers means that 18 scholarship players have left Syracuse since Doug Marrone took over. But the Orange coach says he is not running players off, Donnie Webb writes in the Syracuse Post-Standard.
• Tom Savage's first scrimmage snap ended with him being sacked by 325-pound tackle Antwan Lowery. But the highly rated freshman showed flashes of his immense talent after that, Keith Sargeant says in the Home News Tribune.
• The Pittsburgh Post-Gazette's Gene Collier wonders how long it will be until it's Tino Sunseri time at Pitt.
• Shifty and speedy, true freshman Tavon Austin will make a difference for West Virginia this year, Bob Hertzel writes in the Times West Virginian.
• UConn's defense has a lot to prove still, Desmond Conner writes in the Hartford Courant.
• South Florida is looking to take the next step, Jack Carey writes in USA Today.
• Louisville's season-ticket sales, which were reported to be down earlier this summer, have now topped 32,000 and are almost gone, C.L. Brown writes in The Courier-Journal.