Here are the power rankings after Week 12:
1. West Virginia (7-3, 3-2). The Mountaineers were off, but they have wins over the No. 2 and No. 3 teams ranked in this poll. That Syracuse loss looks worse today than it did a month ago, but I give more weight to the wins over Rutgers and Cincinnati.
2. Rutgers (8-3, 4-2). Kudos to the Scarlet Knights for what they have done this season. Everybody -- myself included -- picked them to finish last. Now they have a real shot at winning their first conference title. The Scarlet Knights have no bad losses, but they came up short against West Virginia.
3. Cincinnati (7-3, 3-2). The Bearcats have to drop again after losing their second straight game. Both losses are to the top teams in these rankings. Their performance last week with backup Munchie Legaux was nowhere near acceptable. Coach Butch Jones will tell you that. Now they need to win out and get help to win the Big East title.
4. Pitt (5-5, 3-2). The Panthers were also off, but their most recent win against Louisville looks better now that the Cardinals are bowl eligible. All five of their losses have come to teams headed to bowl games. Each of those teams has seven wins or more.
5. Louisville (6-5, 4-2). The Cardinals are very much in the hunt for a Big East title, so you have to give coach Charlie Strong and his players credit for that. But you can't erase losses to Florida International and Marshall.
6. South Florida (5-5, 1-4). The Bulls are perhaps the most snake bitten team in the league. They lost to Miami 6-3 on a last-second field goal, their third loss of the season by three points. Four of their five losses have come by six points or fewer.
7. UConn (4-6, 2-3). Are the Huskies the biggest disappointment in the Big East this year? Going from BCS game to potentially no bowl has to qualify. The Huskies had their chances against Louisville, but the passing game has been a letdown all season. That loss to Iowa State doesn't look so bad today.
8. Syracuse (5-5, 1-4). The Orange have the longest losing streak going in the Big East, at three, and also lost to UConn and USF. So they stay here after their bye.