While all of New England attempts to compose itself after Sunday's letdown at the Meadowlands, we're taking a look at the best and brightest from around the region yet again in this week's edition of 10 off the top.
Lets get to the links:
We're still a ways away from basketball season, but there was plenty of big recruiting news from the weekend to whet your hoops appetite:
10. The news of Pat Connaughton's commitment to Notre Dame (which was first reported in this market in this space by my cohort Brendan Hall) dominated weekend headlines. Adam Finkelstein, writing on his ESPN recruiting blog (Insider content), had more on Connaughton's decision with Middlesex Magic head coach Mike Crotty Jr.
9. Finkelstein also provided some added perspective on the other big recruiting news of the weekend on his New England Recruiting Report: Dominique Bull's commitment to the University of Rhode Island. It's fitting the Worcester native, who will suit up with the Tilton School Rams this winter, will also be a Ram in his college career.
THE BIG BUILD UP
8. I'm already getting super charged-up for this weekend's bout between No. 1 Brockton and No. 2 Xaverian in Westwood and Danny Ventura kicked off the build up to the big game with a chronicle of teams' tête-à-têtes going back to 1988.
BEWARE THE BEAR CAGES
7. A bit of news that has this guy feeling a little forlorn for his cross country days and those epic struggles (and, alas, ultimate failures) against the terrain of Franklin Park. As Joe Reardon of the Boston Herald reported here, the MSTCA has scratched the venue from its meet schedule this year, meaning there will be far fewer opportunities to tackle the bear-ish "Bear Cages" portion of course.
WELCOME TO THE SHOW
6. Russ Charpentier of the Cape Cod Times has Falmouth High alum Steve Cishek getting the call from Double-A to the Florida Marlins last night.
BEST OF THE WEST
5. Ben Larsen, writing on MassLive.com, had the weekend's top performers from Western Mass.
4. John Gillooly of The Providence Journal has the inspirational story behind the recovery of South Kingstown High footbal player Mike Gray, who suffered severe head trauma during summer practices.
3. High School Football Report has been keeping tabs on how our weekly football picks have panned out and stacked them against some of our contemporaries around the region. And let's just say Brendan and I have some ground to make up ... That is, even though we go out on a limb and pick like 10 times the games everybody else does. Just sayin' ...
END OF THE ROAD
2. Checking in with our far flung correspondents, Marc Thaler reported on the end to Plymouth Regional's epic 57-game winning streak on Friday night in New Hampshire. Kennett High of Conway beat the visiting Bobcats, 20-9, after the Eagles scored 20 unanswered points.
1. Mark Ducharme of The Enterprise catches up with Cardinal Spellman head coach Ron St. George, who pocketed his 200th career victory on Saturday. Look for our interview with St. George coming at you tomorrow.