Coaches Cup: Consolation game recaps

DOVER, Mass. -- Both Andover and Lincoln-Sudbury rebounded after their opening round matches on Tuesday with wins against Dover-Sherborn and North Andover.

Andover and L-S will meet on Saturday in Wellesley at 12:00pm, while D-S and North Andover will kick-off the final day of the Coaches Cup at 10:00AM.

LINCOLN-SUDBURY 12, DOVER-SHERBORN 11: Entering the fourth quarter trailing D-S by three goals, L-S regrouped and tallied five unanswered strikes to defeat the Raiders, 12-11.

“We knew we were going to comeback,” L-S head coach Brian Vona said. “We’ve just been that team all year.”

L-S tied the game with 20 seconds remaining when junior Henry Guild, (5 G) rushed to the right side of the D-S zone before he whipped the ball past the Raiders junior netminder Ryan Goodall for the equalizer.

“I’m just looking at the clock thinking we’re down by one, and we needed one, and instincts just kind of kicked in. All the coaching that we had just kind of kicked in, and I think I got a little lucky to be honest,” Guild said. “I went low to low, and [my shot] just bounced off the grass, the grass had a really nice bounce and it just bounced right up and in.”

On the ensuing possession, junior Chris Giorgio scooped up a loose ground ball, which was initiated by the game’s final face-off before Vona called a timeout, and crafted a play that instructed his team to feed junior Dan Delaney, (5 G, 1 A) for the go-ahead goal.

And luckily for Vona, his play worked out, as Delaney dodged through the D-S zone, and rifled a shot past Goodall for the game-winner.

“We were aware of the clock, we knew we had 13 seconds [following a timeout], and I had a lot of room on [the right side], and I was going to the goal,” Delaney said of his game winning strike. “I was going to the goal.”

“Ironically, exactly what we did, which never happens in high school lacrosse, but exactly what we drew up,” Vona added. “We knew they’d shut off the two adjacent passes, and we just skipped a pass and went from there, so it was a good pass to make it, and a hell of an athletic play by Danny to make it happen.”

D-S jumped out to a quick 5-2 lead thanks to senior Jared Spence, (5 G), and extended it to 8-4 at the break. However, once the second half commenced, L-S appeared rejuvenated, and notched two back-to-back strikes by Guild and Delaney during the final 30 seconds of the third quarter, which provided the Warriors with all the momentum.

The Raiders only fourth quarter goal came at 8:59 when senior Ben Newbert centered a pass to junior Brandon Jaeger, who then deposited the ball past Warriors senior goaltender Dan Shaughnessy.

D-S never scored again, as their defense allowed L-S to net four goals in a span of five minutes, which secured their fifth victory of the season.

“I think all of our guys played a tough game, we did not quit, [and in the] fourth quarter came back and won it,” Delaney said. “I think that was an important win for our team.”

Andover 10, North Andover 7: Starring at their third consecutive loss, Andover’s offense rebounded following a lackluster third quarter, and tallied six unanswered strikes in the fourth, which lifted the Golden Warriors past North Andover, 10-7.

Andover’s senior Tom LoMedico, (2G, 1A) sparked the rally by connecting with sophomore Will Reardon, (3G, 2A) at 10:28 before he and senior Matt McIver recorded back-to-back tallies, which tied the game, 7-7.

“I think the whole team started really believing, and I think we knew we could comeback the whole time, so once we started putting a few in, it just really helped us comeback,” LoMedico said.

The Golden Warriors regained the lead for good two minutes after their game-tying strike when McIver found LoMedico before Andover increased their lead with two additional goals by junior Andrew Eriksen and senior Jeff Hanson.

“I felt like we were kind of making rash decisions, and throwing the ball a little bit more then we needed to, and kind of pushing it into spots where we were kind of forcing the ball, and what we said at the end of the third quarter was that we know that we can score, we have 12 minutes, and let’s make sure we’re not forcing [passes or goals],” Andover head coach Wayne Puglisi said. “That was the main message.”

Andover began the game with a 2-1 advantage, but North Andover responded with four consecutive strikes, which gave the Knights a 5-3 lead at halftime.

North Andover extended their lead to 7-4 in the third when junior Nathaniel Hitchcock tallied back-to-back strike before Andover rallied to beat their crosstown rival for the first time since 2010.