Archies, Westford roll at Cape Cod Cup

FALMOUTH, Mass. – After a night full of ties at the Cape Cod Cup on Friday, Saturday brought about a pair of blowouts.

Fifth-ranked Archbishop Williams got four goals from senior Ryan Dunn en route to a 9-3 shellacking of Chelmsford in the day’s second game. In the earlier contest, Westford Academy rode a hat trick by Anthony Gulliver to a 7-2 victory over the host team from Falmouth.

The night before, head coach Derackk Curtis’s squad needed a final-minute miracle provided by Nick Menzel to earn a draw against WA. There was no need for such dramatics against Chelmsford as the Bishops scored multiple goals in every period to run away and hide from the Lions.

“We wanted to make a statement, because the team as a whole didn’t feel like we performed well yesterday,” Curtis said. “I though overall we played pretty well.”

Leading 2-1 after one, Archbishop Williams took charge in the second period with three quick goals that opened up some breathing room.

Mike Sorrenti bore down the right side and tucked one past Tim Huggins just 36 seconds into the second, scoring on his team’s first shot of the period. Just 30 seconds later Dunn blasted in a set-up by Eric Keefe that made it 4-1. Then, at 5:16, a Chelmsford turnover found Sorrenti in the low slot and he let it rip instantaneously to give his team a three-goal cushion.

The rest of the second period was all Lions, but Archies goalie Matt McCaughey (30 saves) prevented things from getting too close. McCaughey stopped 16 of 17 Lions shots on net during the middle frame, including three during a 5-on-3 power play late in the stanza.

His lone mistake in the second period came at 10:19 when Mike DeDenato slipped through a check on the left wing wall at the blue line and whistled a shot inside the near post to make it 5-2. Chelmsford had plenty of chances after that to close the gap late in the period, but McCaughey was extra sharp.

“Coming into it we didn’t really have Matt pegged in as the number one guy, but he’s come in and played with an air of confidence. He’s very calm, cool and collected back there,” Curtis said.

Chelmsford head coach Mike McGrath said that McCaughey’s stand-out play in the second period was a big reason for the outcome. “He made three or four really big saves there, and then we came out in the third and gave one up right away, and end of story.”

The Bishops kept it up in the third. Goals by Michael Davis and Cullen Lyne in the first five minutes increased the lead to 7-2. Danny Ferri closed the gap a little with a spectacular shorthanded goal at 5:06, but that was the last of the scoring for the Lions. Dunn capped the festivities with goals three and four later in the period, his first coming off of a funny bounce out of the corner, and then his last of the night on a clean breakaway.

AW opened the game by building a 2-0 lead, with Chelmsford making it a one-goal game late in the period. Dylan O’Brien got the game’s first one, tipping a Kyle Leonard wrist shot at 4:45. Dunn then snapped one in on a break up the middle at 9:16 to double his team’s advantage. Danny Ferri popped in his own rebound for Chelmsford at 14:24 to make it a one-goal game after the opening period.

Westford Academy 7, Falmouth 2

In the first game, Westford Academy (1-1-1) exploded in the second period to net a half-dozen goals in 15 minutes and turn a competitive contest into a laugher.

Grey Ghosts head coach Bob Carpenter was pleased to see his club travel South to the Cape Cod Cup and leave with three points in tow, after having played No. 5 Archbishop Williams to a draw the previous night.

“You don’t plan on that to come down here and get three points, it’s nice,” he said with a smile following his team’s rollicking win over the host team.

After a very competitive first 15 minutes, Westford Academy found another gear in the second period, striking early and often. Goals by Anthony Gulliver and Ryan Hesseltine less than a minute apart turned a 1-0 differential into a 3-0 contest in a matter of moments. Gulliver, who missed most of the previous day’s game with a severe headache, gave the Clippers pains by scoring a hat trick in the game. His second of the night, at 2:39 of the second, saw him camp on the edge of the crease and put home an Andrew Gounaris rebound. Just 51 seconds later Cam MacDonald dragged a defender on his hip up the left wing and centered a feed to the wide-open Hesseltine for a tip-in past Nick Cline to make it a three-goal differential.

Westford Academy was just getting started, though. The Ghosts went on to add four more before the second period concluded. Jay Drapeau’s power play goal, which came with 10 seconds left on a major against the Clippers, was the shot of the day as he sniped one just under the crossbar on the near side to make it 4-0.

Joe Schultz, Gulliver and Jack Conway each added to the tally late in the period as they bunched their strikes over a span of just 2:26, pushing their lead to a robust 7-0 differential after 30 minutes.

“I thought (Falmouth) played very well in that first period, and really took us out of our game. In the second period we kind of settled in better,” Carpenter said. “We worked harder in the second period. I thought we were trying to be a little too cute in the first period, and we were falling right into Falmouth’s trap, I think. We got back into our game, putting the puck on net and crashing the net.”

Falmouth (3-2-1) saved some face by winning the third period, scoring a pair of goals, both of which came off the stick of sophomore Sam Walker. Nick Marston set up the first one, with a nice feed off the right wing wall to the doorstep for Walker. The first-year varsity player netted number two on his next shift, intercepting a pass at the red line before sniping one in to the lower right corner at 11:39.

Paul Moore said that his team will move on from the blowout loss. “You play this game with your hands, your head and your feet and we stopped playing with all three in some situations tonight,” he said. “It was an abomination, I told them to have amnesia and forget about it. We’ll learn from our mistakes and move on.”