No. 5 CM ties up No. 2 Malden Catholic

BOSTON -- In their first meeting of the season, No. 2 Malden Catholic put up a lop-sided 7-3 win over Catholic Conference rival Catholic Memorial.

In Saturday’s rematch at Walter Brown Arena on the campus of Boston University, the goaltenders ruled the day as the teams skated to a 1-1 tie. The Lancers’ Pat Young stopped 25 shots, including some clutch saves in the third period. Meanwhile, sophomore Shane Starrett turned in a tremendous 36-save performance between the pipes for the fifth-ranked Knights.

“If that was a tie, it should have been 7-7, not 1-1,” MC head coach Chris Serino said. “There wasn’t a lot of defense being played. That’s something we’re going to need to work on.”

CM was out-shot in the first period, 15-8, but sophomore goaltender Shane Starrett weathered the storm, making a number of saves on point-blank opportunities. No stop was finer than Starrett’s kick-out of Garrett White’s one-timer from the faceoff dot with 6:20 remaining.

However, White would pay Starrett back for his theft, finding the back of the net with 2:01 remaining in the first for a 1-0 MC lead.

After a penalty-free first period, both teams had a couple chances with the man-advantage in the second.

The Lancers (8-2-2, 3-0-2) were given a 5-on-3 power play after a CM cross checking penalty with 5:18 remaining. MC put four shots on goal during the two-man advantage (all of which were kicked aside by Starrett), but most of the chances were limited to the periphery, thanks to some dogged work by Knights forward Kevin McCarthy at the top of the triangle.

“He gives himself up out there all the time,” Knights head coach Bill Hanson said of McCarthy’s efforts on the PK. “It’s because of his athleticism, too.”

CM (7-5-1, 2-2-1) also saw two power-play opportunities go by the boards in the second with only one shot to show for them.

However, the Knights best chance to score in the second came at even strength. Lancers goaltender made a toe save on a Liam Coughlin shot with 30 seconds remaining, but the rebound stalled at the top of the goalmouth with winger Jack O’Hear perched on the doorstep. The quick put back by O’Hear was nabbed by the glove of Young, who made a jaw-dropping sprawling recovery.

CM finally cracked through for the equalizer with 6:41 remaining in the game. Knights defenseman Marc Hetnik pushed the play up ice as MC was slow coming off a defensive pairing change. The smooth-skating 6-foot-3 blue-liner made his charge up the left wing boards and fired a wrister on Young from inside the dot. The shot squeaked through Young’s right arm and near side post.

“What defensemen are supposed to do when they’re on a change is just to get the puck to their goaltender,” Hanson said. “It just happened to get by him.”


After a hard-fought battle, the teams gathered on their respective blue lines after the game and Hanson took a moment to send best wishes to assistant coach Bob Dwan, who will be deployed to Afghanistan on Monday. A Lt. Col. in the National Guard, Dwan is a Gulf War veteran who has spent the last four years as an assistant to Hanson. Also CM graduate, Dwan (’83) also played under the Knights’ bench boss as a four-year varsity player before going on to play at Providence College.