Warren's hat trick leads Scituate over Bourne

BOURNE, Mass. -- Mitch Warren’s job on Scituate’s third line largely consists of doing a lot of the dirty work. Along with linemates Andrew Mitchell and Dan DelGrosso, Warren’s duties consist of keeping up the forecheck, digging in the corners and neutralizing the opposing team’s scoring threats.

With a hat trick in the No. 17 seed Sailors’ 5-3 win over top-seeded Bourne in a Division 3 South first-round playoff game at John Gallo Arena, the senior forward not only had a career game, he nearly totaled his goal tally for the entire season in one night.

“Our line has always been the one to set the tone and the speed out there,” said Warren, who netted four goals during the regular season. “But it was really good to contribute on the goal standpoint this time.”

Despite outshooting the Canalmen 37-11, Scituate struggled to put much of anything past Bourne goaltender Josh Eddy through two periods. The teams were tied 1-1 headed into the second intermission.

Warren spearheaded the Sailors’ attack in third.

Despite falling behind 2-1 on a Canalmen power play goal, Warren helped the defending Division 3 Eastern Mass champions back with two goals in the third.

“Warren, Mitchell and DelGrosso, they were just attacking the net all night,” Scituate head coach Mike Breen said. “That was the only way we were going to score on that goalie [Eddy]. He was one of the best that we’ve come against.”

Eddy repeatedly bailed out his teammates in the first period, stopping all 11 shots while the Canalmen took a 1-0 lead on Spencer Andrews’ put back goal six minutes in.

The Sailors (12-7-2) came back to the tie the game on Warren’s first marker of the evening, coming with 5:27 remaining in the second period with assists by David Lyons and Mitchell.

Scituate continued its barrage on Eddy in the third, when they outshot Bourne, 14-5. However, the Canalmen (18-2-0) broke the stalemate on Matthew Crowley’s power play goal assisted by William Humfryes.

The Sailors responded less than a minute later, tying the game on a goal by Jack O’Donoghue. Warren picked up an assist on the play. Warren put Scituate ahead for good with 9:46 remaining, scoring his second of the game with a helper from DelGrosso. Devon Flynn then provided the Sailors with a breathing room and a two-goal cushion, banking home a shot from behind the goal line off a Canalmen defender's shin guard.

Humfryes drew Bourne within one, providing a highlight reel tally with 8:45 remaining. The power play goal came with the junior forward steaming on an end-to-end rush. He cut through several Scituate defenders before dragging the puck on a string to the slot, where he finished with a top-shelf wrister.

Not to be outdone, Warren capped off his memorable night with his third goal of the game with five minutes to play.

“We’ve had games like that all season,” Warren said. “Sometimes the goals just don’t come, but we knew they were going to come because we had the shots and we knew they would come.”

Warren also credited the Sailors’ ability to roll three lines against a short Bourne roster as a benefit to Scituate in the third period.

“We have three lines, which most teams don’t have, and we just keep the intensity up the whole time,” Warren said. “That’s a difference in games.”