No. 1 Duxbury flicks switch on Cohasset

DUXBURY, Mass. -- It was a special return for Cohasset's T.J. Bicknell, when the lights went up last night on Duxbury High's FieldTurf. So special, that Skippers head coach Tom Flanagan had made the senior goalie honorary captain for this one game with No. 1 Duxbury.

And while the ex-Dragon dazzled between the pipes all night, its was his ex-teammates who got the best of this night. The Skippers took a quick 2-0 lead in the game's opening minutes before Duxbury answered with eight unanswered goals to take this one going away, 8-2, to remain undefeated within the state.

"We just had to hit the shots, we were getting them," said junior long-stick midfielder Reilly Naton, who had a goal and two assists. "I mean, he [Bicknell] played great. Gotta give T.J. credit, we've all grown up with him. But it just came down to shooting and scoring."

Indeed, Bicknell -- who transferred out of Duxbury after three years as the backup goaltender -- stole the show for periods of time in this one, stuffing attackers at the doorstep and showing off his quick reflexes against a barrage of mid-range shots. Head coach Tom Flanagan praised the goalie's poise, calling him "just an amazing player."

"He came over here to Cohasset, this was his shot, and he's done everything," Flanagan said. "It's such a great story for a senior. He's taken advantage of it, probably one of our most valuable players."

The Skippers (8-3) jutted out to a 2-0 lead with 5:06 left in the first quarter, with goals from Tom Flibotte and then John McGoldrick just 31 seconds apart. But when the Dragons (6-3) get rolling, it's a pretty thing to watch.

Kane Haffey put back a dish from Mitch Barrington, driving off a give-and-go, for the Dragons' first score two minutes after McGoldrick's tally. He found the back of the next again with four minutes left in the second quarter, taking a pitch from Will Siefert from behind the net, to knot it at 2.

The upshift then came with 30 seconds to go in the half, this time Siefert taking a Naton dish in transition down the left flank and beating Bicknell top corner, far side for the 3-2 halftime lead.

"In the second quarter, we kinda turned it up," Siefert said. "We started slow. That third goal got us the momentum shift, got us back in the game. [After that] we just went out there and started playing better lacrosse."

Said Duxbury head coach Chris Sweet, "I think at halftime, they figured out that Cohasset's a really good team, and we have to play really hard and physical, with energy and a lot of effort, to beat a team like that. That's what happened in the second half."

The Dragons rattled off five more goals in the final two quarters, including two more from Siefert, to close the game out.