No. 14 Medfield downs rival No. 9 D-S

MEDFIELD, Mass. -- Medfield halted all talks about the passing of the torch in the Tri-Valley League, after an 8-5 victory over rival Dover-Sherborn on Friday night at Calvin George Fisher Memorial Field.

Sam Aronson made 15 saves and the Warriors (6-3) stifling defense held the Raiders to one goal in the final 24 minutes of action to keep its 10-year gridlock in the TVL alive and well for at least another game.

“We just stepped up the energy,” Medfield head coach Bob Aronson said. “This is the first real full game that we’ve played. We’ve had some struggles. We have a younger team with some inexperienced players, but they really stepped up.”

The Raiders (9-2) were the aggressors in the early moments of the first quarter and it showed on the scoreboard as they jumped out to a 2-0 lead. Chris Flight struck first, and the ball movement that has been pivotal to the success of the Raiders was on display when Jared Spence (two goals) finished off a pretty series of passes with P.J. Copponi and Ben Newbert at 7:56 of the opening quarter.

Connor Roddy (hat-trick) scored 30 seconds later to get the Warriors on the board, and Peter Gill went right through the teeth of the defense to tie things up at 2 with 1:57 left to go in the quarter.

The Warriors were able to slowly turn their defensive pressure into transition goals on the other end, and a little luck of the bounce never hurt anyone.

Calvin Given scooped up a loose ball and pocketed it for the 3-2 lead at 11:26 of the second, and Roddy got his second off a scrambled play a minute later. Sam Aronson made a save and immediately heaved the ball down the middle of the field. The ball went over the stick of the intended receiver, but luckily it bounced right to David Parsons, who found Roddy all by himself behind the defense.

“Those were great, not only for this game, but for our team and our confidence,” Bob Aronson said of the opportunistic goals. “Those are the little things that we haven’t been doing. To be able to convert those gives them the trust in their teammates.”

The teams traded goals until halftime, but the Raiders would not find the back of the net again for over 16 minutes of play.

“They were pressing out, maybe we weren’t swinging it around as much as we usually do,” said Raiders head coach Brian McLaughlin. “They did a nice job defensively pressing out on us. We were getting a step on a guy, but I don’t think we were moving off ball as well as we should have been.”