The Patriots sent out their annual NFL Draft release to reporters today, which includes information meant to assist the media in its coverage.
Some quick hits:
1. Estimated time of picks. The Patriots are estimating that the No. 17 pick of the first round will come at approximately 9:50 p.m. ET on Thursday, April 28. The No. 28 pick is estimated at 11 p.m. ET.
2. Patriots' situation is rare. New England enters the draft with five of the first 75 selections. That is the highest number of picks in that range for any club in the past 20 years (1991 Cowboys).
3. First round and offensive players. Left guard Logan Mankins is the only offensive player on the Patriots' roster who was selected in the first round of the draft. Mankins has been assigned the franchise tag.
4. Unusual to be in the Top 20. This year marks just the fourth time in Bill Belichick's 12 drafts with the Patriots that the team owns a selection in the top 20. The Patriots have been strong in this situation, with Richard Seymour (No. 6, 2001), Ty Warren (No. 13, 2003) and Jerod Mayo (No. 10, 2008).
5. Patriots light on 2012 picks. One goal for the Patriots in this year's draft might be to replenish their 2012 supply of picks. They are without 2012 sixth- and seventh-round picks from trades last season (picks acquired/traded in deals for LB Tracy White, S Jarrad Page, WR Randy Moss).