FOXBOROUGH, Mass. -- Quick-hit thoughts after the first quarter, with the Patriots leading 10-3:
1. Bill Belichick kept most top players on the field for the full quarter. Tom Brady played the entire quarter, while linebacker Jerod Mayo was subbed out on the fourth defensive series for Tracy White. On the flip side, the Giants are playing all second-stringers after a quick turnaround from their Monday game.
2. Immediate impact for defensive lineman Albert Haynesworth. On the first defensive play, he collapsed the pocket with a strong interior rush. Total snaps for Haynesworth in the quarter: 7.
3. Veteran defensive lineman Shaun Ellis lined up at left end. Some wondered where he'd fit in the four-man line, and the end spot brings him back to his Jets days in the 4-3 defense under Herm Edwards.
4. Injuries to monitor: Cornerback Kyle Arrington (limping; right leg), fullback Sammy Morris (possible concussion), linebacker Niko Koutouvides (possible concussion) and punter Zoltan Mesko (left hand/fingers looked at). Mesko came back later to handle his regular duties as a holder on an extra point.
5. Linebacker Gary Guyton has the green dot on his helmet tonight, as he is leading the defensive huddle. That's probably a case of Bill Belichick getting players more experience in the event of emergency, as Jerod Mayo should be leading the huddle in the regular season.
6. Matthew Slater entered the game at receiver before Brandon Tate. With Julian Edelman not dressed, Tate served as the top punt returner. Slater had one of the plays of the quarter, a 64-yard catch and run in which he turned on the jets.
7. Veteran defensive lineman Mike Wright played for the first time this preseason, lining up at left end in the four-man line.