FOXBOROUGH, Mass. -- Quick hits from the media-access period in the Patriots' locker room today (11:15 a.m.-noon):
1. With wet weather in the region, players talked about practicing outside today as part of their preparations for Monday night's game in Miami. Players received the message from Bill Belichick that it would be good to work in rainy conditions as they figure to be playing in them at some point of the season, possibly as early as Monday night.
2. Players were expecting to learn who this year's captains are at some point this week, possibly as early as today.
3. Receiver Matthew Slater, linebacker Rob Ninkovich, offensive lineman Logan Mankins and tight end Rob Gronkowski were a few players drawing larger media crowds.
4. Punter Zoltan Mesko shared a few thoughts on his role as a holder on field goals, especially with the club breaking in a new long snapper, rookie free agent Danny Aiken. "I think it's been good. When you have the three guys working together, I feel like it takes one or two days to get the tendencies of the new guy," Mesko said. "The ball is going to be spotted the same way. You just have to adjust, with the most learning in the first day or so."
5. Overall, it was a quieter room today, with many reporters focusing on the Gronkowski brothers.