NFL Network draft analyst Mike Mayock updates his positional rankings for this year's NFL Draft, and after reading it over on NFL.com, a few thoughts as it relates to the Patriots:
1. Syracuse defensive end/outside linebacker Chandler Jones, a player that ESPN.com draft analyst Todd McShay has been high on for New England, has broken through into the No. 4 spot.
2. Michigan State defensive tackle Jerel Worthy leaped over LSU's Michael Brockers and is viewed as the No. 2 prospect behind Fletcher Cox. From a scheme specific standpoint, Brockers would seem to fit the Patriots better than Worthy.
3. Safety Phillip Thomas of Syracuse, who the Patriots have spent extra time with in the pre-draft process, is ranked fifth. If the top two prospects (Alabama's Mark Barron and Notre Dame's Harrison Smith) are out of reach, Thomas is someone to keep on the radar from a New England perspective.
4. Time to study up on Boise State outside linebacker Shea McClellin. For teams looking at pass-rushers, he's burst into the No. 2 spot, over Illinois' Whitney Mercilus and Clemson's Andre Branch in Mayock's view.
5. LSU receiver Rueben Randle isn't in the top five, with Baylor's Kendall Wright, Georgia Tech's Stephen Hill and South Carolina's Alshon Jeffrey topping him.