We continue our position-by-position look at the Patriots as they head into the draft with an examination of the cornerbacks.
Need level: High
Overview: Later today we'll know what's in store for Alfonzo Dennard's future and whether he will face jail time stemming from an April 2012 arrest. Regardless of his status, cornerback is considered a top need this offseason despite the fact that both Aqib Talib and Kyle Arrington were re-signed. While the Patriots have a core of players at the position, they would benefit from adding another playmaker in the secondary, particularly a cornerback with reliable man coverage skills. This draft is considered deep with starting-level talent at the position, although not filled with star power beyond Alabama's Dee Milliner, the consensus top cornerback.
Scouts Inc.'s cornerback prospects of note:
1. Dee Milliner, Alabama. 6-0, 201 pounds. 2012 stats: 54 tackles, 1.5 sacks, 2 interceptions.
2. Desmond Truaft, Washington. 6-0, 190 pounds. 2012 stats: 31 tackles, 1 sack, 1 interception.
3. Blidi Wreh-Wilson, UConn. 6-1, 195 pounds. 2012 stats: 46 tackles, 1 interception.
4. Jamar Taylor, Boise State. 5-11, 192 pounds. 2012 stats: 51 tackles, 2.5 sacks, 4 interceptions.
5. D.J. Hayden, Houston. 5-11, 191 pounds. 2012 stats: 61 tackles, 4 interceptions.
For additional information on these prospects and more, CLICK HERE to check out Scouts Inc.'s player database (Insider content).