In anticipation of tonight's preseason opener, ESPNBoston has put together its latest roster projection, version 2.0.
There are a few differences when comparing the projections made by Mike Reiss and Field Yates:
1. Reiss goes with the high total of five running backs, while Yates has LeGarrette Blount as the odd-man out in a four-man grouping.
2. Both have veteran Daniel Fells as a surprise cut at tight end, but Reiss takes it one step further and also envisions a scenario where Michael Hoomanawanui might also not make the initial roster. But would that be too light at tight end? Economics could be a factor there.
3. At defensive tackle, Yates assumes good health for Armond Armstead (non-football illness), while Reiss assumes he won't be part of the initial projection.
4. At linebacker, Reiss holds a developmental spot for seventh-round pick Steve Beauharnais. Ditto at defensive end for seventh-round pick Michael Buchanan. Yates does not in either case.
5. Is this the end of the line of cornerback Ras-I Dowling? Reiss leans toward the reliability of Marquice Cole, while Yates thinks other factors could lead to Dowling sticking as the Patriots keep six at the position.
6. One area where the two have common ground: Tim Tebow makes the cut.
To read the projections, CLICK HERE.