“I felt like I had a pretty good idea we’d take a quarterback,” Brady tells Peter King of The MMQB.com. “Coach Belichick doesn’t care who the quarterback is here. He’s always going to play the guy who he thinks gives him the best chance to win. It’s not my role to choose players here, thankfully. And this is not the first time they’ve taken another quarterback, either. There’s no entitlement in the NFL. I don’t expect to be given anything. I just hope I’m the one most entitled to play that position for a long time here.”
Brady's interview with King comes during the week in which he serves as co-chair of the 15th annual Best Buddies Challenge. Brady's annual Best Buddies football game is scheduled for Friday night.
Among the other topics touched upon in King's piece with Brady:
1. How Brady traveled to Houston for a Best Buddies event and sat with the wife of a man who bid $100,000 to play in Friday's game.
2. Brady's focus on taking care of his body and his belief that he can still get better, and be durable, despite getting older.
3. Why football still stokes his passions.
4. The importance of football mechanics.
5. What it's been like throwing against cornerback Darrelle Revis: "I’m tired of throwing against him, that’s for sure,’’ Brady says. “I did tell him, ‘Hey, we plan on building a couple of hotels on your island over there, so don’t be offended.'"