Revs earn scoreless draw at K.C.

Revolution keeper Matt Reis denied a dangerous header from Sporting K.C. midfielder Jacob Peterson header in the 52nd minute to preserve a 0-0 draw Saturday night at LIVESTRONG Sporting Park.

Roaming near the edge of the box, Peterson ran to a Michael Harrington pass and snapped it toward an unguarded far post, but Reis leaped right to make an acrobatic save. Reis collected six saves to earn his fourth clean sheet of the season, while K.C. counterpart Jimmy Nielsen stopped three shots to rack up his ninth clean sheet of the season.

With the draw, the Revolution (6-9-5, 23 points) remain stuck in the eight spot while Sporting (11-6-4, 37 points) stays in second place.

Revs' two-game skid snapped: After falling short against Toronto on July 14 and Montreal on Wednesday, the Revolution were able to get their first point since a 2-0 win over the Red Bulls on July 8.

First road shutout of the season: The scoreless draw marked the first time in 2012 that the Revolution kept their host off the board.

Cranking up the heat in K.C.: The game time temperature at LIVESTRONG Sporting Park was recorded at 99 degrees, the hottest temperature at kickoff the Revs have seen all season.

Simms unavailable: Veteran midfielder Clyde Simms was given the night off after featuring in both of the Revolution's last two matches, which took place within a four-day span.

Happy returns: A pair of Revolution players who missed Wednesday's match in Montreal returned to the lineup against Sporting K.C. Skipper Shalrie Joseph returned to the field after back pain kept him out for the midweek clash. Meanwhile, center back Stephen McCarthy, who sustained concussion-like symptoms during the July 14 tilt against Toronto, saw his first action since the injury. McCarthy was forced to come off in the 76th minute for what appeared to be cramping.

Sene comes on as substitute: After a pair of uninspired performances, striker Saer Sene was dropped from the starting 11 on Saturday. He came on in the 58th minute for Kelyn Rowe, but failed to a register a shot on goal.

Curious configuration: With Sene parked on the bench, midfielder Ryan Guy was given a new role on Saturday: lone striker. Among the other changes: left back Chris Tierney got a start at left midfield, and center back Darrius Barnes pushed wide to get the nod at left back.

Revs avoid red: After racking up a red card in each of their previous two in Kansas City, the Revolution were able to walk off the field at LIVESTRONG Sporting Park with 11 men. However, AJ Soares and Barnes were cautioned in the 20th and 47th minutes, respectively.

No suit for Heaps: While Revolution head coach Jay Heaps is known to don a business suit and tie for game day, the high temperature at kickoff may have influenced him to go with a polo shirt and dress pants.

Nguyen resumes corner kick duties: Given the Revolution's documented set-piece woes, Lee Nguyen took over the corner kick duties for the second straight game. On his first corner, the winger nearly orchestrated a goal when he launched one across frame that Guy nearly nodded through before it was punched off the line by Nielsen.

Next up: The Revolution wrap up their three-game road trip on July 29 against the Union at PPL Park at 7 p.m. The conference clash will mark the first time the teams have played in 2012.