Condition of Reis' father-in-law upgraded

FOXBOROUGH, Mass. -- Just 12 days after the tragic events at the Boston Marathon critically injured his father-in-law, New England Revolution goalkeeper Matt Reis had some good news to share.

"His latest [condition] is that he's been taken off critical and he's moved down to serious condition," Reis said. "He's doing well. He doesn't have a breathing tube in so he's starting to talk and communicate, but we have a long, long road to recovery."

John Odom was injured in the first of two explosions near the finish line of the Boston Marathon on April 15. Reis was originally with Odom but estimated that about two minutes before the first bomb went off, he and his son moved closer to the finish line to watch his wife, Nicole, complete the race.

Nicole Reis was running the Boston Marathon for the New England Patriots Charitable Foundation.

Odom's wound went from the outside of his left leg through his left leg and into his right leg, according to Reis. Odom has had some infections in his body but they have been treated with antibiotics.

The upgrade in condition is especially welcome, as Odom could have just as easily gone the other way, according to Reis.

Odom has had "eight or nine" surgeries, including one on Saturday, Reis said.

"The last surgery, just today, the doctor went in there and saw that were wasn't any more tissue problems so they're very happy about that moving forward," Reis said.

After seeing where the explosion was, Reis knew it was around the area his wife's parents were standing. He secured his son with his brother-in-law before heading toward his relatives. He found his mother-in-law, Karen, crouched over her husband, with a pair of pants -- originally meant for Nicole when she finished -- wrapped around his leg. Matt used his belt and wrapped it around Odom's leg like a tourniquet and took off his jacket to apply pressure to the wound.

Reis estimated that it took about 20 minutes from when the blast happened to the time Odom arrived at the hospital.

The goalkeeper said that soccer has been on the backburner since the Marathon and said that his family hasn't considered the suspects' motives.

"Any reason is not a good enough reason for us," Reis said. "We were there in support of my wife and in support of an event that's amazing here in this city."

Matt Reis is 1-0-1 this season for the Revolution and has yet to allow a goal in two shutout performances entering Saturday night's game against the Union.