Revs suffer shocking loss to Real Salt Lake

FOXBOROUGH, Mass. -- Second-half substitute Olmes Garcia scored in the 89th minute and Real Salt Lake goalie Nick Rimando saved a second-half extra-time penalty kick as Real Salt Lake stunned New England 2-1 at Gillette Stadium.

Kyle Beckerman blasted a shot from distance, forcing Revolution goalie Bobby Shuttleworth into a diving save, but the rebound fell to Garcia, who slotted home the game-winning goal.

The Revolution had a chance to tie it in extra time after Carlos Salcedo was given his second yellow card (which turned to red) for a foul in the area off a Juan Toja cross, but Saer Sene's low shot was saved by a diving Rimando.

Ryan Guy gave the Revolution a 1-0 lead just minutes into the second half, but RSL's Devon Sandoval poked home a rebound to get even.

Guy volleyed home a service from Kelyn Rowe in the 51st minute for the first goal of the game. It was Guy's first goal of the season and Rowe's team-high third assist.

Real Salt Lake knotted the score at 1 in the 77th minute when Sandoval one-timed a rebound from inside the 6-yard box. Shuttleworth made the initial save on Sebastian Velasquez's shot from inside the area, but the rebound fell right to Sandoval.

New England falls to 2-4-3 on the season and Real Salt Lake improves to 5-4-2.

What it means: The Revolution had their longest unbeaten streak of the season -- just two games -- snapped with the loss. New England came out with more energy in the second half, and it showed with Guy's goal, but the Revolution blew a lead for the first time this season. It's only the second time in nine games the Revolution have allowed more than one goal in a game, the other coming in a 4-1 setback to the New York Red Bulls on April 20.

Second-half subs: New England made two second-half subs, with Sene replacing Diego Fagundez and Toja replacing Lee Nguyen, but it was Real Salt Lake's adjustments that won out. Velasquez subbed on in the 59th minute for RSL, and it was his shot that allowed for Sandoval's rebound goal. Garcia came on in the 68th minute for Joao Plata and scored the game-winning goal in the 89th minute.

A strong core: For the third straight game, the Revolution deployed a center midfield pairing of Kelyn Rowe and Nguyen. After a lackluster first half, Rowe and Nguyen helped pace the second-half surge. Rowe's run down the right sideline was rewarded with a through ball from Nguyen that set up the first goal. Nguyen exited in the 74th minute and just three minutes later RSL struck for its first goal. Revolution head coach Jay Heaps also said that Nguyen is the normal penalty-kick taker.

Drought: It looked as though the Revolution were going to snap their winless streak against RSL, but the two second-half rebound goals prevented them from picking up their first win over Real Salt Lake since Aug. 23, 2009. New England is now 0-5-1 against RSL in the past six games.

Up next: The Revolution return to action Saturday when they host the New York Red Bulls at Gillette Stadium for a 7:30 p.m. kickoff.