Revs explode late to stun Crew, 2-0

So much for settling for one point on the road.

Jose Goncalves and Diego Fagundez both scored in stoppage time to help the New England Revolution (7-7-6, 27 points) pull off a 2-0 win over the Columbus Crew (6-9-5, 23 points) on Saturday at Crew Stadium.

After a scoreless 90 minutes, Goncalves struck in the 90+1 minute, while Fagundez added another in the 90+4 minute. Bobby Shuttleworth made a pair of saves to earn his ninth clean sheet of the season.

With the win, the Revolution put the brakes on a two-game losing streak, while the Crew have lost four of their last five.

What it means: Going into the game, the players and coaches noted how important it was to get maximum points after dropping their last two. Well, Saturday's win backed that assertion up. With the game scoreless going into stoppage time, it appeared that the Revolution would have to settle for one point against the seventh-place Crew. But a late Lee Nguyen corner fell fortuitously to Goncalves, who slipped it under the arm of Andy Gruenebaum to score his first goal of the season. Fagundez, who was left off the starting XI for the first time in three months, sealed the Revolution's first road win since May 18.

Stat of the game: The 2-0 win gave the Revolution their first win in Columbus since a 1-0 victory on Oct. 25, 2009. Prior to Saturday's game, the Revolution had lost their last three at Crew Stadium.

McCarthy, Sene unavailable: Starters Stephen McCarthy and Saer Sene were unavailable for Saturday's game. McCarthy came out of Wednesday's game in the 55th minute with a head injury, while Sene missed his second straight game with a right hip contusion. AJ Soares filled in for McCarthy in the middle of the defense, while Chad Barrett took Sene's spot on the right flank.

Nguyen benched: After starting all of the previous 19 games, Lee Nguyen found himself on the bench for the first time this season. He was replaced on the left flank by Chris Tierney, who earned his first start in the midfield this year. Nguyen came on in the 58th minute for Clyde Simms, and went on to record assists on both Revolution goals.

Next up: The Revolution wrap up their three-game road trip at 7:30 p.m. ET on Saturday, July 27 against D.C. United at RFK Stadium. Earlier this year, the two teams settled for a 0-0 draw at Gillette Stadium on June 8.