Disappointing performance in KC

It was nothing short of a numbing experience for the Revolution at Sporting Park on Saturday.

On a night in which Kei Kamara scored two goals in near-identical fashion, a pair of Revolution players were red carded and an ex-teammate scored in stoppage time, it was patently clear that very little went right in a humiliating 3-0 loss to Sporting Kansas City.

“We weren’t great,” Revolution midfielder Chris Tierney told the media after the game. “I’m not sure there’s much more you can say about it. We didn’t start well and conceded a bad goal.”

Kansas City successfully employed its high-pressure approach right out of the chute, testing the Revolution backs early and often enough to earn 77 percent of the possession in the first 10 minutes.

“They’re a good possession team,” Revolution right back Andrew Farrell told the media after the game. “We let them have a lot of the ball. Against a team like them, the difference between a win and a loss is taking your chances when you get them.”

Although the Revolution were able to keep Kansas City off the board by the midway point of the first half, Kamara broke through in the 25th minute when he elevated over Kevin Alston, who’d earned his first start over four months, and buried Soony Saad’s cross via the header.

“Our thought process was that we wanted to have a physical presence on Kamara,” Revolution head coach Jay Heaps told the media after the game. “You hope for a spark, but tonight we were flat all the way around.”

Down, but far from out with plenty of time to uncover an equalizer, Dimitry Imbongo gave his teammates hope when he took hold of a Lee Nguyen ball and fired a close shot that Jimmy Nielsen poked away at the last second. That glimpse allowed the Revolution to believe their time might come in the second half.

“We tried to push forward a little more to help Dimitry up top,” Farrell said “But when you get down 2-0 and pick up a red card, it gets really hard. At that point it kind of just broke down, so we tried to just not give up any more goals.”

The score went to 2-0 when Kamara tallied on another Saad cross in the 50th minute. Fifteen minutes later, the situation went from dire to hopeless when Imbongo’s second caution left the Revolution shorthanded at Sporting Park for the duration.

As if things couldn’t get any worse for the guests, second half substitute Andy Dorman was issued a red card for a hard challenge from behind on Kamara near the halfway line. The final moment of humiliation came two minutes into stoppage time when Benny Feilhaber, who spent the last two seasons in New England, curled a brilliant free kick inside the left post.

Given the widespread failures the Revolution suffered from start to finish, it wasn’t surprising that Tierney was already looking ahead to Saturday’s home game against Chicago.

“We’ll look forward to a positive reaction at home,” Tierney said. “We’ve had two bad results in a row. We’ve talked about it all year that we don’t want to go on losing streaks. So it’s time to draw the line in the sand, and we’ll come out next week fired up.”