Rapid Reaction: Revs 2, K.C. 1

FOXBOROUGH, Mass. -- So much for the New England Revolution staying quiet against Sporting Kansas City.

After entering Saturday’s game 1 of the Eastern Conference semifinals tethered to a 501-minute goal drought against Kansas City, the Revolution scored twice within a 12-minute span to stake a 2-1 win at Gillette Stadium.

Andy Dorman scored in the 55th minute after tapping through a ball that Juan Agudelo brought down in front of frame and Kelyn Rowe followed up in the 67th minute from a Lee Nguyen pass. Aurelien Collin picked a C.J. Sapong short pass out of the box and sent it though to bring one back for the guests.

Saturday’s postseason win gave the Revolution their first since a 2-1 Eastern Conference semifinal victory over the Chicago Fire Nov. 1, 2009.

What it means: Talk about an unexpected result. Entering Saturday’s clash, the Revolution hadn’t beaten Kansas City in over two years, and were walloped 3-0 in their last clash back on Aug. 10. But after the Revolution overcame a first half filled with inconsistency, they finally figured out a way to get the ball past Jimmy Nielsen, not once, but twice. Dorman’s goal may have been the byproduct of a lucky bounce, but Rowe’s strike 12 minutes later was evidence that the Revolution had enough to overtake their conference nemesis. Even more encouraging: after Collin cut the lead in half, the defense did its job and shut down Kansas City, and saw the game through to send the Revolution to Wednesday’s second leg at Sporting Park with a one-goal advantage on aggregate.

Stat of the game: Taking into account Saturday’s action, the Revolution went 555 minutes between goals against Sporting Kansas City. The last Revolution goal scored against Kansas City came on Jul. 30, 2011, when Rajko Lekic tallied in the 38th minute of a 1-1 draw at Sporting Park.

Goncalves starts: Jose Goncalves got the start despite suffering a hamstring injury early in last week’s match at Columbus. Although the club captain wasn’t forced to come out of that match, he was listed on the injury report as “questionable” ahead of Saturday’s clash.

Barnes takes over for Tierney at left back: With Chris Tierney still on the mend due to right ankle injury, Darrius Barnes got the start at the left back. Kevin Alston, who manned the left back spot last week, was not among the gameday 18 due to a hamstring injury. Incidentally, Barnes was the only other Revolution player in the lineup -- besides Reis -- who featured in the club’s last postseason match back in 2009.

Next up: The Eastern Conference semifinals resume on Wednesday, Nov. 6 at Sporting Park. Kickoff is set for 9pm ET. The Revolution have never won at Sporting Park.