Revs lose U.S. Open Cup play-in

Veteran forward John Wolyniec converted a pair of rebounds -- sandwiched around a Sinisa Ubiparipovic blast from outside the box -- to lead the New York Red Bulls to a 3-0 win over the New England Revolution in a U.S. Open Cup play-in match on Wednesday night at Red Bull Arena in Harrison, N.J.

The loss eliminated the Revolution from U.S. Open Cup qualification, while the Red Bulls advance to host the Colorado Rapids in the final round of play-in matches on May 26. The winner of that match will earn one of the final two spots allocated to MLS teams in the 2010 Lamar Hunt U.S. Open Cup.

Wolyniec scored what proved to be the winning goal in the 36th minute, then rounded out the scoring with his second strike in the 64th minute. Ubiparipovic found the back of the net in between, scoring with a long-range effort in the 62nd minute.

The injury-riddled Revs dressed just 14 players for the match -- including a pair of goalkeepers -- leaving just two field players (Sainey Nyassi and Khano Smith) as available substitutes at the start of the game.

Four of those players who didn’t make the trip were defenders Kevin Alston, Darrius Barnes, Cory Gibbs and Emmanuel Osei, making Seth Sinovic the only natural defender on the Revolution’s game day roster. As a result, coach Steve Nicol deployed a makeshift backline featuring midfielders Pat Phelan and Chris Tierney in central defense, Zak Boggs on the right and Sinovic on the left.

Meanwhile, Nico Colaluca and Kenny Mansally –- neither of whom have started a league match this season –- earned starting nods on the wings. Second-year goalkeeper Bobby Shuttleworth made his Revolution debut.

Still, the visitors controlled much of the possession in the opening stages and limited New York’s time on the ball. However, the possession didn’t yield a significant number of dangerous forays into the attacking third.

In fact, the game’s first quality scoring chance didn’t arrive until the 36th minute, when Wolyniec’s persistence earned the Red Bulls a 1-0 lead.

The hosts doubled their lead in the 62nd minute through Ubiparipovic. Nielsen stood over a free kick at the top left corner of the box and instead of striking directly on goal, he laid a short pass into the path of Ubiparipovic, who laced a low shot through a crowd in the box and into the back of the net.

The Revs return to league action on Saturday, May 15, when they host the San Jose Earthquakes at Gillette Stadium.