Rapid reaction: Revs, Sporting Kansas City reach 1-1- draw

Rajko Lekic’s 38th-minute goal gave the Revs a lead that lasted until Teal Bunbury leveled the score in the 89th minute, as Sporting Kansas City extended its unbeaten streak to 13 with a 1-1 draw at LIVESTRONG Sporting Park on Saturday night.

Lekic, who scored on a Matt Reis long pass, appeared to give the Revs the only goal they’d need to secure their second victory in their last three games. But A.J. Soares’ red card in the 82nd minute left the guests vulnerable in the waning minutes, and Bunbury took advantage with a cool finish in the final minute of regulation to keep K.C. out of the loss column.

With the draw, the Revs’ record stands at 4-9-9 (21 points) and keeps them in the seventh spot of the Eastern Conference standings. Meanwhile, Sporting Kansas City sees their record go to 6-6-9 (27 points), but falls to fifth place in the standings with Houston’s 3-1 win at Seattle.

The heat is on -- again: For the third straight game, the Revs kicked off in 90-plus-degree weather, with the temperature in Kansas City reaching 92 degrees on Saturday night.

Soares sees red: Revs center back A.J. Soares received his second red card of the season when he was ejected for a foul on C.J. Sapong in the 82nd minute. Soares’ other red card came on April 6 when he was sent off in the 75th minute in a 1-1 draw at Vancouver.

Revs finish the match shorthanded ... again: For the third time in their last four matches, the Revs finished with 10 men due to red-card ejections. The Revs finished shorthanded against Philadelphia (July 17) and Colorado (July 23).

Lekic loves playing against K.C.: Lekic’s 38th-minute goal was his second of the season against Sporting Kansas City. Back on April 23, Lekic scored his first MLS goal against K.C. in the Revs’ 3-2 win at Gillette Stadium.

McCarthy comes off: In the 33rd minute, Stephen McCarthy came out of the game prematurely after he landed hard on top of the ball. The tall midfielder appeared to be in excruciating pain as he clutched his chest and upper left arm. The injury forced Kenny Mansally to come on for McCarthy in 35th minute.

Tierney out: The Revs were missing defender/midfielder Chris Tierney, who was suspended for Saturday night’s match after he received a red card in the Revs' 2-2 draw at Colorado. With Tierney out, Benny Feilhaber took over the bulk of the corner-kick duties Saturday night.

Ex-Rev Sinovic starts for K.C.: Former Revs defender Seth Sinovic, who was waived by New England on March 31, started against his former team for the first time this season. In fact, Sinovic nearly tasted revenge when he had an open look on goal before his shot sailed over the bar in the 49th minute.

Road trip a success: With the draw, the Revs finished their grueling three-game road trip with five valuable points (1-0-2) and climbed from ninth place to seventh place.

Home sweet home: With their longest road trip of the season behind them, the Revs return to Gillette Stadium for an inter-conference game against Chivas USA on Aug. 6. The Goats handed the Revs a 3-0 loss on April 30 at The Home Depot Center.

Brian O'Connell is covering the Revolution for ESPNBoston.com. He is the co-founder of New England Soccer Today (www.nesoccertoday.com), which covers professional soccer within New England. He can be reached at BOConnell21@aol.com.