FORT MYERS, Fla. -- The new Red Sox media guide came out last week, and not unexpectedly Fenway Park is featured on the cover in recognition of the 100th anniversary celebration.
But in combing through the guide, there are always things you can discover only within its pages, which inspired this Not-Just-For-Stats-Geeks Red Sox trivia quiz. Ten questions, all multiple choice, one bonus question, and a word of advice: Running to Baseball-Reference.com ain't gonna help too much.
Here are the questions. Answers are below.
1. This Red Sox coach played in the same Little League as Keith Hernandez, the former Cardinals and Mets All-Star first baseman.
a) Dave Magadan
b) Jerry Royster
c) Bob McClure
2. This Sox pitcher had the lowest ERA in the second half of 2011 (minimum 40 innings).
a) Daniel Bard
b) Alfredo Aceves
c) Jon Lester
3. This member of the Red Sox performed in the opening ceremonies of the 1964 World's Fair.
a) Larry Lucchino
b) Tom Werner
c) Bobby Valentine
4. Only two players since 1988, Ichiro Suzuki and Albert Pujols, hit for a higher average as a rookie than this Red Sox player.
a) Jacoby Ellsbury
b) Mike Aviles
c) Dustin Pedroia
5. At 21 years and 123 days, shortstop Jose Iglesias was the eighth youngest player since 1970 to debut for the Sox. Who was the youngest?
a) Dwight Evans
b) Roger Moret
c) Jeff Suppan
6. Over the last 10 seasons, the Red Sox have only one player who ranks in the top 5 in wins, starts, quality starts, shutouts, innings and strikeouts. Name him.
a) Tim Wakefield
b) John Lackey
c) Josh Beckett
7. This member of the Red Sox led his high school team to three state championships in baseball and football.
a) Darnell McDonald
b) Bobby Valentine
c) Carl Crawford
8. Kevin Youkilis has had three seasons with an on-base percentage of .400 or better, but has yet to top the .417 of this member of the Red Sox coaching staff. Name him.
a) Bobby Valentine
b) Tim Bogar
c) Dave Magadan
9. This U.S. president gave the final speech of his political career at Fenway Park.
a) John F. Kennedy
b) Calvin Coolidge
c) Franklin Delano Roosevelt
10. The Red Sox added a staff member just for Bobby Valentine. That person's job is:
b) dance instructor
c) administrative assistant
Bonus question: Who is the last Red Sox player to have played in all 162 games?
a) Nomar Garciaparra
b) Dustin Pedroia
c) Dwight Evans
The Sox media guide, which is 569 pages long, is an indispensable source for anyone covering the team. The book is produced by the Sox media relations department: Pam Ganley, Leah Tobin, Abby DeCiccio, Jon Shestakofsky and Peter Cohenno, with over a half dozen other contributors, including team historian Dick Bresciani.
Answers: 1) c 2) b 3) c 4) b 5) c 6) b 7) a 8) c 9) c 10) c Bonus) c