Farrell: Umps, not Nava, dropped ball

DETROIT -- Boston Red Sox manager John Farrell said it was a catch.

Red Sox outfielder Daniel Nava said it was a catch.

But the umpiring crew saw it differently.

In the top of the eighth inning with the Red Sox and Detroit Tigers tied 4-4, Detroit’s Avisail Garcia sent a fly ball to Nava out in right field. The Red Sox outfielder turned and made a basket catch, then bobbled the exchange to his throwing hand.

Second-base umpire Mike DiMuro ruled Nava didn’t catch the ball.

The Tigers wound up scoring three unearned runs in the eighth on their way to a 7-5 over the Red Sox to win three of the four games in the series.

“To have a catch, you have to have complete control and voluntary release,” crew chief Ted Barrett told a pool reporter. “Mike had him with control, but did not have the voluntary release. When he flipped the ball out of his glove, he never got it into his hand. That's not voluntary release.”

Farrell and Nava disagreed.

“When you spend the rest of the game in the clubhouse, you probably have a little difference of opinion,” said Farrell, who was ejected for arguing the ruling. “Clearly the call was missed, he caught it, he went to transfer it to his throwing hand, dropped it at that point.

“It wasn’t like it was an instantaneous movement,” Farrell continued. “He caught it in front of him, took it to his left hip to naturally throw the ball back in, he drops it and he rules it a dropped ball. Kind of surprising seeing it from the dugout that three other umpires didn’t see it either.”

“I made the catch,” Nava said. “I know I made the catch.

“I caught it in my glove. It was secure. I was going to get it to throw it in. I didn’t get it out how I wanted to or obviously that play wouldn’t have happened. That’s just a call I thought we had, but we didn’t get. It happens though.”

Farrell also questioned why the second-base umpire made the call and not first-base umpire Scott Barry.

“Whether or not Scott Barry even saw the play happened, I couldn’t tell you that,” Farrell said. “Why it was called by the second-base umpire I don’t know. Whether or not that has an effect on the outcome of the game, it certainly changed the complexity of the eighth inning and we end up in a situation that we also contributed too, but we’re in a much different situation with one out and nobody on base.”

Barrett said the call was made by the correct umpire.

“With no one on base, that is certainly his jurisdiction,” said Barrett, who did look at a replay of the play. “He never got the ball into his hand, therefore there was no voluntary release and no catch.”

Nava, who had just replaced an injured Shane Victorino in right field, didn’t rush a throw to second base to try to nab Garcia, thinking he had secured the out.

“I know what happened, but that’s what he saw happened,” Nava said. “It’s unfortunate, but they’re human. Sometimes calls go your way and sometimes they don’t. That was just the case.”

Victorino has general soreness and tightness in his back after making a catch in the bottom of the seventh inning then running into the right-field wall.

“He slammed into the wall and he’s done that on a number of occasions,” Farrell said. “We’ll get a full workup on him tomorrow.”