ST. LOUIS -- Here is more from John Farrell's pregame discussion with Red Sox beat reporters.
• Who is available in the bullpen?
“Everyone will be available, yes, to varying lengths.’’
• Even Felix Doubront, who pitched two innings of relief Saturday night?
“Even Felix. Even John Lackey. He’ll be available, yes.’’
“We’re looking to get some spark, get some offense going. That’s why David is in there today.’’
• Why [Mike] Napoli was taking ground balls at third base in BP on Saturday:
“At this point, for late-inning flexibility.’’
• How difficult was the decision to hit for Stephen Drew, given how much Farrell has stressed the value of his defense?
“I think it was pretty cut and dry. A left-hander [Kevin Siegrist] was coming in. Will [Middlebrooks] I know he’s not had an at-bat of late, but he’s a guy who can still get a fastball, and we’re looking for something to try to get something started.
“Unfortunately, lo and behold, the checked swing [by Matt Carpenter in the bottom of the seventh] ended up in a spot where it’s debatable whether Stephen makes the play or not, that’s the way things unfolded last night.’’
• Hard to stick with Drew at short, given the depths of his slump?
“If we, again, would be able to guarantee an uptick in offensive production elsewhere ... you’ve got to prioritize one over the other, and the constant has been his defense.’’