Another all-out collision for Red Sox

BALTIMORE -- For the second time this season, the Boston Red Sox witnessed a collision between their third baseman and their left fielder while they were chasing a lazy pop up. Fortunately for the Sox, this one turned out a little better than the one on April 11 in Kansas City.

On that day, Adrian Beltre steamrolled Jacoby Ellsbury, who suffered four fractured ribs and he’s been on the disabled list twice since.

In the bottom of the third inning Friday night at Oriole Park at Camden Yards, Baltimore's Nick Markakis lifted a fly ball down the third-base line in shallow left field. Beltre and left fielder Jeremy Hermida were both charging for the ball when they collided. Hermida took the brunt of the hit and suffered contusions on his left forearm and ribs.

“I think we’re just going to let the ball fall next time,” said Ellsbury, who had just finished treatment after Boston’s 11-0 victory. “You just hope he gets up from it. It looked pretty similar. Adrian is a pretty solid person.”

Hermida stayed in the game until the fifth inning, when he was removed and had X-rays taken at the ballpark. Results were negative.

“It just feels like a bruise up there," Hermida said. "But the forearm was the thing. Tried to grip a bat and swing, tried to give it a whirl up there, go into it and see what happens. But after swinging once I kind of realized it wasn’t going to happen.”

Beltre, who suffered a bruised knee on the play, is relentless on defense and there’s no doubt he’s a big, strong guy.

“In that situation I’m trying to get the ball until the outfielder calls me off,” Beltre said. “There have been some situations where they haven’t called me off because they’re not under the ball. Unfortunately we have collapsed a couple of times, but I think Hermida will be OK.”

Beltre also dismissed the fact that the collision was similar to the one he had with Ellsbury.

“No, because there was less speed on it. Jacoby was a little farther, so I was running a little faster. This one was a little shorter because he was close to me.”

The last thing Beltre or Hermida wanted to do was pull up on the play and let the ball fall in for a hit.

“Actually, I was very surprised that he caught it,” Hermida said. “I was sliding and had my head down, trying not to take one in the face. I was surprised and I still haven’t seen the replay of it yet. It was a great play on his part.”

Sitting in the dugout, manager Terry Francona said he’s not about to tell his players to ease up.

“I want somebody to catch it,” he said. “That’s the only way to play. You have to play the game like that. That’s a ball where nobody can call it. Nobody knows if they can catch it. You’ve got three guys going after it as hard as they can. I don’t know how Beltre caught that ball. I was actually watching to see where it went, because you see the bodies. You don’t see the ball. I don’t know how that ball stayed in his glove.”