BOSTON -- Friday's postponement has presented an interesting wrinkle in the Red Sox’ pitching plans for the next series of this homestand.
Manager John Farrell said he’ll stay on line with the announced starters through this weekend. That means Jon Lester (9-7, 2.92), today’s starter, will take the ball in the first game of tomorrow’s doubleheader, followed by John Lackey (5-0, 3.62) in the nightcap and Jake Peavy (1-7, 4.82) on Sunday.
In the next series of the homestand, against the Chicago White Sox, Clay Buchholz (3-4, 6.22) would start Monday, followed by Brandon Workman (1-2, 4.17) on Tuesday. That leaves a hole for Wednesday, as either Lackey or Lester would be pitching on short rest.
Farrell confirmed that the Red Sox would have a spot starter for Wednesday, but said “I haven’t even looked at who the candidates might be.”
One possible candidate could be Felix Doubront, who moved to the bullpen late last month after going 2-4 in 10 starts so far this season. After throwing two scoreless innings in relief of Jake Peavy in June 24’s 8-2 loss to Seattle, Doubront got rocked for four hits and three earned runs -- including a two-run homer to Wellington Castillo -- in a 16-9 loss to the Chicago Cubs.
Doubront’s last start came on June 20 at Oakland, his first start in nearly a month after going on the 15-day disabled list on May 21. In 4.2 innings he allowed two hits and three earned runs -- all off a three-run homer to Josh Donaldson -- while striking out four and walking four. Since moving to the pen, Doubront’s ERA has elevated to 5.37, with a WHIP of 1.51.
Asked about the possibility of Doubront going Wednesday, Farrell stressed again that he hasn’t crossed that bridge yet.
“We haven’t taken a look at everything,” he said. “We’ll need an additional pitcher, even if we choose to spot start someone. We’ll figure that out as we get through the weekend.”
The Red Sox will also add an extra player to the roster for game two of tomorrow’s doubleheader, though Farrell said it hasn't been determined who that player will be.
All in all, though, the extra day off may have done some good, with Farrell reporting full attendance this morning even with the near-certainty that today’s game would be postponed.
“Everyone was here. There was certainly enough talk throughout the day yesterday as I reached out to a few guys that this was a possibility today,” Farrell said. “Everyone was here. Guys got their throwing in that needed to. It was a quick turnaround.”