BOSTON -- The Red Sox and Mike Cameron have decided the outfielder will have season-ending surgery on Friday at Massachusetts General Hospital to repair an abdominal tear.
The 37-year-old center fielder has been playing with the injury for the majority of the season, and the emergence of rookie outfielder Ryan Kalish allows Cameron a chance to be healthy and ready for 2011.
“I’m a little nervous, obviously, but I’m excited to go ahead and take care of things that will allow me to feel a lot better and be able to move around a lot better and get ready to start looking forward to ’11, God willing,” Cameron said before Tuesday's game with the Seattle Mariners was rained out.
Cameron played a total of 48 games in his first season with the Red Sox and posted a .259 average with four homers and 15 RBIs.
His contributions did not go unnoticed by his teammates or manager Terry Francona.
“We appreciate him trying. He’s at a point in his career where he really wanted to, it meant a lot to him to try to be a part of what we’re doing,” Francona said. “But at the same time, felt like we got to a certain point that, rather than muddle through September, and he was in agreement with us that it would have been the wrong thing to do to try to continue to do this."
Because injuries to outfielders Jacoby Ellsbury and Jeremy Hermida earlier in the season limited Boston’s depth at the position, Cameron battled through his pain and discomfort to play the best he could. He said he doesn’t regret playing and doesn’t think he should have shut it down earlier.
“No, man. I have no regrets on nothing other than a regret that I’m not getting an opportunity to go out and still continue to be in the trenches with the fellas,” he said. “Other than that, like I said before, I’ve given every ounce of me to this ballclub, to my mind and everybody else, so I have nothing to look back upon in a negative light other than that I wish I could have been at full health to be able to go out and run around like a wild horse.”
Cameron said he’s content with the timing of the decision.
“Considering what I’ve been through, yeah, there will be a little bit of relief -- a little more pain for a few days, but it should be well worth it considering the pain I’ve already been through all year,” he said.
Also on Tuesday, the Red Sox activated catcher Kevin Cash (hamstring) from the disabled list. Catcher Dusty Brown was optioned to Triple-A Pawtucket to make room on the roster.