Rapid Reaction: Blackhawks 3, B's 2 (SO)

CHICAGO -- It was only fitting that the first game since the Stanley Cup finals between the Boston Bruins and Chicago Blackhawks would go into overtime Sunday afternoon at United Center.

It finished with the defending Stanley Cup champion Blackhawks winning 3-2 in a shootout. Chicago’s Jonathan Toews and Patrick Kane scored the goals in the shootout en route to victory, with Kane converting the game winner. These teams played three overtime games during the finals last spring.

The Bruins’ Brad Marchand scored two goals and he now has four goals in the last three games. He also scored Boston’s lone goal in the shootout. During the Cup finals last spring, Marchand did not register a point.

On Sunday, it was an evenly matched game. When overtime concluded, the game was tied at 2 with Chicago holding a slight advantage in shots, 37-36.

The Blackhawks gained the early lead when Marian Hossa notched his 20th goal of the season. Prior to the goal, the Bruins had control of the puck in the offensive zone but the Blackhawks forced a turnover and quickly transitioned up the ice and created a partial 2-on-1, and Hossa beat B's goalie Tuukka Rask to make it 1-0 at 4:13.

Chicago kept the pressure on and the Bruins couldn’t create many quality scoring chances. When Boston did, Blackhawks goalie Corey Crawford made the key saves, including a golden opportunity by the Bruins’ Reilly Smith late in the period.

Boston finally scored when Marchand tied the game at 1-1 with only 18.9 seconds remaining in the first period. His shot from the right faceoff dot beat Crawford to the top left corner. The goal was Marchand’s 13th of the season. It was a huge goal for the Bruins since the Blackhawks dominated the majority of the opening period.

Boston kept that momentum at the start of the second period as Marchand netted his second goal of the game. Linemate Smith threaded a neutral-zone cross-ice pass to Marchand, who broke in and beat Crawford through the five-hole only 50 seconds into the period. It was his 14th goal of the season.

Rask then let in a weak goal at 9:44 of the second as Chicago tied it at 2. The Blackhawks’ Brandon Bollig put the puck on net from a bad angle and it snuck past Rask on the short side. Rask appeared stunned that the puck went in.

The game remained in a stalemate during the third period, but with 4.6 seconds remaining in regulation, the Bruins’ Matt Bartkowski was penalized for cross checking Chicago’s Ben Smith into the boards. That gave the Blackhawks a 4-on-3 power play in overtime. Fortunately for Boston, its penalty-killing unit did its job.

In the shootout, the Bruins used Ryan Spooner, Patrice Bergeron and Marchand.

Injury update

Bruins defenseman Adam McQuaid left the game with an undisclosed injury in the second period. After game coach Claude Julien said McQuaid would be looked at Monday.

“Again, I don’t like saying it tonight because he needs to be looked at by a doctor,” Julien said. “We’ll look at him tomorrow. He wasn’t obviously good enough to finish the game, but we’ll evaluate him and at least give you a precise diagnosis on him.”

Next up

The Bruins don't get much time to rest as they'll face the Los Angeles Kings on Monday afternoon (3 p.m. ET) at TD Garden.