CANCUN -- With the marks from battle still fresh on his face, Shane Mosley admitted after Saturday's welterweight fight with Pablo Cesar Cano that the challenge of his return after a year-long layoff took him by surprise.
"It was tougher than I expected," Mosley said. "Cano is a warrior. I think my experience made the difference. I was out [of boxing] for a while, and it took me some time to get my rythmn, but in the end we did things well."
Mosley, 41, emerged from retirement to break a four-fight winless streak -- his most recent victory having come in January 2009 against Antonio Margarito. Since then, Mosley (47-8-1, 39 KOs) had drawn against Sergio Mora and lost unanimous decisions to Canelo Alvarez, Floyd Mayweather Jr. and Manny Pacquiao by wide margins.
"My experience was important," he said of the Cano win. "At the start he surprised me, but we could take care of it. My father [and trainer, Jack Mosley] kept saying to me, 'Throw your right, look for body shots.' We did this and things worked out."
Afterward, Cano (26-3-1, 20 KOs) praised Mosley for his performance and admitted that the veteran's years in the ring were the defining factor.
"His experience was key," Cano said. By the middle of the fight, he changed; he started boxing. He's still fast, but in the end I didn't lose to a nobody. I believe I have the talent to ask for more opportunities, and if they offer me a rematch, we'll gladly accept."
Cano, a gritty 23-year-old whose only previous losses came to Erik Morales and Paulie Malignaggi, said he was happy with his performance even though he wasn't able to seal the deal.
"I hurt him a few times -- I felt it -- but I couldn't finish him up," he said. "It was a difficult fight, I thought I made a good impression. I respect the judges, but Mosley told me at the end that a draw would've been fine with him."
All three judges at Arena Oasis saw a 115-113 win in favor of Mosley.
Mosley initially said he would take some time before making a decision about his immediate future -- "We'll rest. Right now, I don't know what will happen" -- but on Monday he took to Twitter and announced that he would continue fighting and seek a world title shot.