First-half wrap: Lions 14, Bears 13

Bears receiver Devin Aromashodu is tackled by the Lions' Aaron Berry (left) and Jonathan Wade (24) during the second quarter. Jerry Lai/US Presswire

CHICAGO -- Matt Forte breathed life into the Chicago Bears by taking a pass from Jay Cutler and running 89-yards for a touchdown. It appeared Forte might have stepped out of bounds on the way to the end zone, but officials upheld the ruling after a booth review, cutting the Lions' lead to 14-10.

Disaster then struck Detroit near the end of the half when quarterback Matthew Stafford was sacked by Bears defensive end Julius Peppers. Stafford fumbled the ball, which the Bears recovered, but more importantly, he appeared to injure his right arm or shoulder. The second-year quarterback walked off the field in obvious pain and kicked the Lions' bench in frustration. Stafford had removed his shoulder pads before the first half even ended.

Shaun Hill is listed as the Lions' second-string quarterback.

After the Bears recovered the Stafford fumble, Robbie Gould kicked a field goal as time expired to cut the Lions' lead to 14-13.

Despite winning the field position battle for much of the second quarter, the Bears were unable to capitalize in the red zone -- one of the major issues that hurt the organization in 2009.

Tight end Greg Olsen fumbled the ball inside the 20-yard line early in the quarter, taking sure points off the board after they had to settle for a field goal on their opening drive.

Later, Forte compounded the problem by coughing up the football near the sideline after a reception out of the backfield, which led to the Lions driving down the field and scoring on a Jahvid Best 4-yard touchdown run, the rookie's second touchdown of the afternoon.

Forte's turnover was the Bears third of the first half after Cutler tossed an interception in the opening quarter.

Meantime, rookie safety Major Wright made his defensive debut by replacing Chris Harris at free safety for two series in the second quarter.