Rapid Reaction: Flyers 4, Hawks 1

Here's a quick look at the Hawks' loss to the Flyers on Saturday afternoon.

How it happened: The Hawks didn’t generate enough offense in the second half of the game opting for perimeter shots instead of crashing the net. They played well on defense, especially in the first period, but in attempting the third period comeback they gave up a couple of goals to ice it for Philadelphia. The Flyers had 19 shots on net in the second when they scored the first goal of the game by Scott Hartnell on a goalmouth scrum. Nikolai Zherdev added a wrap-around tally in the third while Hartnell scored his second of the game in the final period. Marian Hossa finally got the Hawks on the board with a penalty shot goal in the third, awarded when a Flyers player closed his hand on the puck in front of their goal. Hartnell added an empty-netter to make it 4-1.

What it means: The Hawks held their own for much of the game against the best team in the NHL this season but it wasn’t good enough. They didn’t take any momentum from a good first period into the second. After Philadelphia scored, the Hawks stopped going to the net, looking for the fancier play. Getting a dirty goal -- and subsequently maybe at least a point in the standings -- would have been a very good afternoon. Instead, it’s just a decently played loss, but a loss nonetheless.

Fight night: John Scott was in the lineup but a heavyweight bout between he and Jody Shelley never materialized. Instead there were a couple of other fights including a short one between Bryan Bickell and Scott Hartnell in the first period. Jake Dowell and Daniel Carcillo had a good one in the second.

Hossa penalty shot: It was the first successful penalty shot in the United Center by the Hawks since the building opened. The first at home since Dec. 30, 1987.

What’s next: The Hawks have one more game before the All-Star break. They’ll host Minnesota on Tuesday in their 50th contest of the season. Just 32 remain after the break.