Turco's Dallas return a heartbreaker

DALLAS -- It would be hard to write a more heartbreaking script for Marty Turco in his return to Dallas, where he wore a Stars uniform for a decade.

The Chicago Blackhawks' goaltender had everything going his way, stopping all five shots he faced and enjoying a 3-0 first intermission lead.

The next 45 minutes, plus about 10 more for an embarrassing shootout, were a disaster.

“He deserved a win in his big homecoming,” Jonathan Toews said after it was over.

With the spotlight on him, and the game on the line, Turco faced three of his old friends in the shootout to decide the game.

“You just trust your instincts, other than [Brendan] Morrow’s where I knew where he was shooting,” Turco said. “The other ones, you get beat, you get beat.”

And beat he got. Morrow, Brad Richards, and Mike Ribeiro all scored rather easy goals, and the Stars' comeback was complete.

“I’m sure there is some familiarity there,” Joel Quennville said of the shooters and Turco. “It would have been nice to have a win.”

The outcome of the game might be a microcosm of Turco’s season: No clutch play when its needed most. Turco tried to keep an upbeat nature despite the loss.

“It was a lot of fun,” Turco sighed. “I enjoyed most of it. It was an intense game.”

Walking wounded

The Hawks lost three players to injury in the second period. All took hard hits to the upper body, including a scary moment for Fernando Pisani. His head snapped back as he was hit at the Stars bench by Mark Fristric. Viktor Stalberg and Ryan Johnson also left the game. Quenneville declared them all day to day. The possibility exists one or more have concussion like symptoms. Each will be re-evaluated on Saturday.

Quenneville said the Hawks would not call up anyone from Rockford for the road trip finale in Phoenix. John Scott and Nick Boynton were healthy scratches on Friday and Marian Hossa is “hopeful’ to be back in the lineup on Saturday, as well, after missing the Dallas game with the flu.

Video reviews

There were two video reviews of goals and both went against the Hawks. The tying goal by Dallas in the third period could have been knocked in by a hi-stick but the review said it was a good goal.

In the first period, with the Hawks already leading 3-0, and with a two-man advantage, Brent Seabrook put a shot on an open left side of the net. Kari Lehtonen went post to post to make the glove save just as the puck was going in. Did his glove cross the line with the puck in it? The review looked inconclusive so the call on the ice stood: no goal.

“I thought I got good wood on it,” Brent Seabrook said. “He came across and made a great save. It’s a judgment. If I’m a referee on the ice I’m probably calling that no goal.”

Joel Quenneville was a little less understanding of the call.

“The picture we saw, it looked like it had to be in,” he said.


• Michael Frolik’s Hawks’ debut was started slow but he became more noticeable with the extra ice time due to the injuries. He played 17:20 of even hockey, getting off 5 shots. Three more attempts were blocked. He didn’t register a point.

• Joel Quenneville called it “different” coaching down three players due to injury. Matchups were less important than just rolling the lines, he said.

Niklas Hjalmarsson blocked a shot in the ribs just before the end of the second period. Moments later, with just 4.2 seconds left, Brad Richards scored to cut the Hawks lead to one. Hjalmarsson was slow to get off the ice but finished the game.

Patrick Kane had points on all three Hawks’ goals, all coming in the first period.