Zambrano was put on the 30-day disqualification list Saturday, meaning he won't get paid and can't participate in team-related activities during that time. After getting roughed up in the Cubs' 10-4 loss to the Atlanta Braves on Friday, Zambrano gathered his belongings and told clubhouse attendants that he was retiring, and he left before the game was over.
According to agent Barry Praver, Zambrano contacted the team Friday night and told them that he was recanting his comments about retiring.
Some of the players were asked Saturday if they thought Zambrano -- who was heading back to Chicago -- would pitch again for the Cubs.
"Probably not," Ryan Dempster said. "He probably has a lot to find out about himself, let him go and do that.
"We'll just worry about going out and trying to win a game today. We'll worry about the guys we have here in the locker room today. He was off today anyway. I think the guys in here are pretty upbeat today. He made his bed, he has to sleep in it.'
Praver also said the union will file a grievance on Zambrano's behalf on Monday.
The Cubs owe Zambrano $4.6 million in 2011 and $17.875 million in 2012, which is the last year of his five-year $91.5 million contract extension.
"I can't tell you that Zambrano is a bad teammate, but I can tell you he made a bad mistake," Aramis Ramirez said.
Manager Mike Quade, who blasted Zambrano after he left the ballpark Friday, was more low key on Saturday.
"I'm concerned about the 24 guys in here today," Quade said. "You guys know me, I don't take anything personally. This is about Carlos and the way he handled the situation last night. It matters to me more about the [impact on the] guys in the clubhouse than it did in this office. It was important we take care of things out there [in the clubhouse] and keep things together clubhouse wise."