Double disaster strikes on record long day

CHICAGO -- They canceled the post-doubleheader fireworks show Friday, not that anybody was in the mood to celebrate anyway.

In a long season, the Chicago White Sox had their longest day, playing the longest doubleheader in baseball history (nine-inning games only) and coming out on the other side battered and bruised. In total, there was 7 hours and 53 minutes of baseball played Friday, besting the previous nine-inning doubleheader record of 7:39 in a 1995 twinbill between the Rangers and White Sox.

First there was the 19-10 drubbing in the first game, a contest in which the White Sox actually led 5-0 after one inning. Then came the nightcap when the White Sox rallied for the lead in the sixth inning, added some insurance runs late and then watched the Indians storm back in the ninth for four runs and a 9-8 victory.

There were 46 total runs scored on the day and the White Sox weren’t able to cherish a single one of them.

The implosion in the second game belonged to closer Addison Reed, who waited 18 innings to see some action and when he finally entered he couldn’t hold off the Indians. An RBI single, a run-scoring wild pitch and a sacrifice fly for a run tied the game. Nick Swisher then put Cleveland ahead with a towering home run to right field.

“(Catcher) Hector (Gimenez) called all the right pitches, I just didn’t execute them,” Reed said. “The ball was over the plate and up in the zone and they made me pay for it.”

Reed not only has four blown saves this season, he has blown back-to-back save attempts for the first time in his career. It was the second time this season he has given up three or more runs, the first coming June 5 when the grand slam he gave up in extra innings at Seattle extended that game to the 16th inning.

Poor location is the reoccurring theme when Reed struggles.

“Yeah, absolutely,” Reed said. “I mean, that’s any time I get in trouble, it’s missing spots. It’s not putting the ball where I want to put it. That was the case tonight.”

Most of the White Sox’s problems have come on offense this season, but on a night they scored 18 times they left with nothing to show for it.

The first game lasted 4:02, while the second game went 3:51. Adding in the time between games, not to mention a 25-minute rain delay before Game 2 and a two-minute umpire delay late in Game 2 to review a call, and it added up to a day that started just after 4 p.m. and ended just after 1 a.m.

The game ran long past the local 12:30 a.m. fireworks curfew, leaving White Sox fans with little to cling to from the marathon day.

“It’s hard,” said Adam Dunn, who had the go-ahead single in the sixth inning of Game 2, after hitting a home run in the opener. “The first game, we jumped out on ’em, but that’s a good hitting team. That was a long one. But (Game 2), we kind of battled, battled and took the lead.

“But you can’t blame anybody for what happened. We wouldn’t have as many wins as we have if it weren’t for Reeder and those guys (in the bullpen). It seems like when things go bad they go bad, real bad.”

In addition to Dunn’s productive day, Alejandro De Aza went 4-for-7 in the doubleheader with four walks and five runs scored and Jeff Keppinger went 6-for-8.

“It seems like a break here and there obviously doesn’t go our way,” Dunn said. “When things like this happen, you’re devastated about it but I wouldn’t say it’s not a here-we-go-again type of thing, it’s just seems to happen.”