<
>

Add Matt Albers, Geovany Soto to White Sox's roster

GLENDALE, Ariz. -- Add two more names to the Chicago White Sox’s Opening Day roster as the club confirmed Tuesday that both reliever Matt Albers and catcher Geovany Soto have been told they made the team.

Manager Robin Ventura announced earlier Tuesday that J.B. Shuck made the roster as a backup outfielder.

Only a select few roster decisions remain. Kyle Drabek, who was claimed off waivers by the White Sox this past weekend, is expected to make the club, but he only made his first appearance in a White Sox uniform Tuesday. He didn’t give up a run over 1 1/3 innings.

The last decision remaining appears to be a choice between an extra reliever or a position player for the 25th and final roster spot. An extra bullpen spot could go to Maikel Cleto or Scott Carroll. If they go with the position player it figures to be Carlos Sanchez.

Both Albers and Soto need to be added to the 40-man roster, and only one of those spots is available at the present time. Not only that, but a third 40-man spot would be needed for Micah Johnson, who is expected to be the starting second baseman.

Albers had a 5.14 ERA in seven Cactus League appearances, but struck out nine with three walks over his seven innings. He had just eight appearances with the Houston Astros last season, posting a 0.90 ERA, before experiencing shoulder tendonitis

In 2013, he had a 3.14 ERA in six appearances with the Cleveland Indians, and in 2012 had a combined 2.39 ERA in 63 outings with the Boston Red Sox and Arizona Diamondbacks.

Soto is 32, but he continues to be a solid defensive catcher. He threw out three of four Los Angeles Dodgers base stealers in Tuesday’s Cactus League game. He signed a minor league contract with the White Sox this winter.

“My main priority was staying healthy and go out there and show them what I can do,” Soto said after Tuesday’s game. “I’m glad to be playing baseball. Last year I got hurt in a freak accident in spring training. I just wanted to go out there and play. That’s what I’m doing and I’m happy doing it.”

Drabek said the past five days have been a whirlwind since he was claimed off the Blue Jays’ roster and was glad to get Tuesday’s outing behind him.

“First time going through waivers, and it’s something scary, especially for me who loves playing in the big leagues and wants to be able to continue doing it throughout my career,” Drabek said. “So I’m just trying to do what I can to make that spot.”