Hawks feeling good day after 3OT win

Marian Hossa didn't get much rest after Game 1 thanks to a noisy neighbor. Bill Smith/NHLI/Getty Images

CHICAGO -- Chicago Blackhawks forward Marian Hossa could have done without his neighbor's handyman work early Thursday morning, but otherwise the Blackhawks said they were feeling good less than 12 hours after winning one of the longest playoff games in NHL history.

The Blackhawks defeated the Bruins 4-3 in three overtimes in Game 1 of the Stanley Cup finals. The game began at 7:22 p.m. CT on Wednesday and ended at exactly midnight. Blackhawks center Andrew Shaw scored the game winner at 12:08 of the third overtime, marking the fifth-longest playoff game in NHL history.

"To tell you the truth, I fell asleep around 3 o'clock, woke up early," Hossa said on Thursday. "I think my neighbor decided he was going to drill in the morning. So that wasn't really pleasant. Hopefully, he's going to get his message for the next time and we won't drill."

Blackhawks forward Patrick Kane believes coming out on the winning end of the marathon game also helps everyone feel better physically on Thursday.

"It's one of those games being down 3-1, you come back to tie it 3-3, you definitely feel like something was left on the table if you didn't come back and win it," Kane said. "The game went a long time. It's definitely a good feeling winning in the third overtime when it does go that long. Huge win, for sure."

The Blackhawks and Bruins have the luxury of having two days off between Game 1 and Game 2. The series will also include two days off between Games 4 and 5.

Neither team skated on Thursday. The Blackhawks met with the media at the United Center, and the Bruins were available at a downtown Chicago hotel.

Blackhawks coach Joel Quenneville said he doesn't worry about whether the length of Game 1 will play a role later in the series.

"I think with the extra day everybody should be fine," Quenneville said. "I think we went into the game going, 'Let's see how the game is. We'll evaluate whether we're going to skate or not today.' That was an easy decision coming into today or after the game last night. But you get a skate in (Friday); you have a morning skate in on Saturday. I think everybody should feel fresh."

Quenneville also believes his players looked fresh when he met with them near the end of each overtime intermission on Wednesday. The players said that was due to the work of the Blackhawks' training staff.

"It's a long game," said Blackhawks defenseman Brent Seabrook, who had 39:12 of ice time in the win. "I think guys were really focused on getting drinks into their system. Guys were eating stuff. Guys were changing out of wet equipment and all that.

"We've got a great equipment staff and great trainers that give us every opportunity to get good things in our body, and taking care of drying equipment out and drying skates and stuff like that. It was a big job by them last night. It was a good to help us get on the ice and play the way we could."

Hossa said, "It was unbelievable. It seemed like we had more trainers than players in the dressing room by that time. That was nice to see. Anything we asked for, we got, so we're pretty lucky."

The Blackhawks' plan going forward is more of the same.

"You kind of just know your body at this point and what you need to do to make yourself feel better and recover," Blackhawks defenseman Nick Leddy said. "I think you just stick to those things."

Seabrook said, "I think having the two-day break between Game 1 and 2 is huge with the way the game went last night. I think it goes along the same as what we were doing last night. Just getting lots of rest, staying hydrated and trying to get as much fluid and as much healthy, good food as you can in your system, and just getting ready and focused for the next one."