Docs tell Gillispie to take a month off

Whatever your thoughts on Texas Tech coach Billy Gillispie -- and the past two weeks have been filled with folks' opinions on Gillispie, including his current players, former players and former colleagues, ranging from outright mutiny to unyielding support -- it's clear that the guy has some pretty serious health issues to deal with.

Namely: stress, and how that stress affects his blood pressure. According to the Associated Press, Gillispie confirmed via text message that he'd been treated at the prestigious Mayo Clinic in Minnesota for kidney problems and "abnormal headaches." His doctors' prescription? No stress for at least 30 days (as first reported by the Lubbock Avalanche-Journal):

The Avalanche-Journal received a text message from an unknown source Sunday night. The text said Gillispie had been treated at the clinic for abnormal headaches and kidney problems and was ordered to live in the stress-free environment while trying to get his high blood pressure under control.

A text was sent to Gillispie’s phone number and the response to the A-J confirmed the information was accurate.

That whole process of confirmation -- an unknown text message, followed by a confirmation -- is pretty weird, in and of itself. But it's beside the point. The point is that Gillispie has received his marching orders from doctors, and he is not going to be able to return to the Texas Tech situation for at least a month's time.

That's probably a good thing. Like I wrote above: Whatever you think of the guy, Gillispie clearly has some pretty serious health issues to deal with. We're all stressed out, of course, but how we process that stress differs, and Gillispie doesn't seem to handle that stress at all well. He needs time to rest, recuperate, and move on.

But what happens when he does? That question won't go away. Gillispie won't be able to return to his program after 30 days and say, "See, all better." Texas Tech AD Kirby Hocutt has ordered him to avoid the program while he takes care of his health. What happens when he returns? Will his recovery, or any renewed outlook he may evince after the fact, affect Hocutt's decision in the slightest? We don't know, and we won't find out for at least four weeks. And so the strange saga in Lubbock continues.