Tech ends skid with OT win over Kansas

Kansas just can't seem to get over the hump.

With its opportunities to end its Big 12 losing streak dwindling, Texas Tech knocked off the Jayhawks in double overtime to stretch the skid to 19 games.

A fourth-down heave from Michael Cummings in overtime fell short, and Texas Tech moved to 7-3 with a 41-34 win. Eric Stephens found Darrin Moore for a 3-yard touchdown pass to give Tech the eventual game-winning score.

Texas Tech's final home game of the season was a must-win after frustrating losses in consecutive weeks to Kansas State and Texas, and the Red Raiders did what they had to against an improving Kansas team.

Tech withstood a second-half rally from the Jayhawks for the win, but the biggest story from Saturday in Lubbock had little to do with the game's outcome.

In the third quarter, Texas Tech coach Tommy Tuberville was caught on camera confronting an assistant coach and appeared to aggressively rip the coach's headset off his head, causing the assistant's hat to come off as well.

Facing a fourth-and-2 at midfield, Texas Tech was flagged for a procedure penalty and was forced to punt. That sequence set off Tuberville's sideline rant.

He'll surely be asked about it in postgame. We'll keep you posted.

On the field, Kansas and Tech was what everyone expected: A battle of contrasting styles. Tech won the battle through the air, but KU's ground attack put up an impressive fight to end what's now a 19-game losing streak in Big 12 play.

Tony Pierson set up scores with runs of 49 and 69 yards and finished with 202 yards on 16 carries. Fellow back James Sims notched his sixth consecutive 100-yard game with 127 yards on 30 carries.

Still, Seth Doege and Texas Tech's air attack was too much, and the Red Raiders moved to 7-3. Doege finished with 436 yards and three touchdown passes on 42-of-54 passing.

Tech became just the latest team to sneak by Kansas, but there's no doubt that lots of folks will be waiting to hear Tuberville's explanation for the sideline incident.