<
>

Marc Colombo vows to keep on fighting

IRVING, Texas -- On a day in which the Cowboys introduced their first-round pick -- offensive tackle Tyron Smith -- their right tackle of the last five years, Marc Colombo, promises to fight.

“The Cowboys made a decision they think is the best for the team,” Colombo said, “but I’m not just going to give up. You can’t measure somebody’s will when your back is against the wall. I’ve been counted out before. Look, I understand the business of the NFL and how it works. I was a first-round pick, too. He’s obviously a talented player and I’m going to try to help him in any way I can.”

Colombo has started every game in which he has been healthy since 2006. He suffered a fractured ankle in 2009 and missed the final seven regular-season games before returning for the playoffs. Last year, he missed the season opener at Washington because of knee surgery during training camp.

Colombo acknowledged he did not have his best season in 2010.

“I think I could’ve played better,” he said.

Colombo did not want to talk about his contract. He is due a $2.6 million roster bonus on the 15th day of the league year and a base salary of $1.9 million. After selecting Smith on Thursday, owner and general manager Jerry Jones said the expectation is for Smith to play right away but he did not have an immediate answer about Colombo’s future.

“We don’t have to make that decision tonight,” Jones said of Colombo’s status, “but I think anytime that you’re making a pick of that stature or that high, he’s going to play. And that was a big part of the decision. He can play and will play, so if he plays he’s going to have to take somebody’s place.”