EAST RUTHERFORD, N.J. -- Things are not better for the Cowboys at the break in the NFC East title game. The Giants lead, 21-0.
1. The first half ended accordingly for the Cowboys, with Dan Bailey missing a 52-yard field goal. It was wide left.
2. Tony Romo's was 10 of 12 for 91 yards in the half. His hand didn't seem to bother him too much. He still threw a crisp ball, short and long. He moved well in the pocket, but his team is down three scores and he has to pass on almost every down.
3. Say what you want about players not making plays, but the Giants converted the same dump-off pass to the fullback/tight end three times and the Cowboys couldn't do anything to stop it. Rob Ryan shouldn't have his scheme so complex that communication is an issue almost every game.
4. Mike Jenkins has not been an active participant. It might be his shoulder holding up his performance. The Cowboys are sticking with Terence Newman and Orlando Scandrick as the primary corners. Alan Ball suffered an injury of some kind late in the first half, and the team made Frank Walker inactive leaving them short at the position.
5. Alan Ball just can't get a break. He was penalized for pass interference, couldn't grab a muffed punt and despite downing a punt at the Giants 4 was flagged for an illegal touch. Ball ran out of bounds as he ran down the field.
6. The 40-yard miss by Giants kicker Lawrence Tynes prompted a good drive by the Cowboys. They drove into Giants territory for the first time at the midway point of the quarter as Tony Romo completed passes to Tony Fiammetta and Dez Bryant. But the drive stalled when Romo was penalized for completing a pass while beyond the line of scrimmage.
7. DeMarcus Ware had a meltdown after the Cowboys turned the Giants away on a third down. Ware might be upset about a lack of holding calls against him. He took his helmet off, while on the field, and then stormed to the sidelines. Victor Butler tried to calm him down but Ware pushed him away slightly. Ware got to the bench and defensive coordinator Rob Ryan talked to him some more.
8. For the second time in the game, the Cowboys failed to recover a loose ball. Gerald Sensabaugh tried to pick up a fumble by Brandon Jacobs but couldn't and the ball went straight to Eli Manning, who recovered it.
9. Rob Ryan made the right play call by sending Abram Elam on a run blitz, but when you do so the defensive player needs to make the tackle. Elam missed Ahmad Bradshaw on the 5-yard touchdown run that gave New York a 14-0 lead.
10. We've been told Anthony Spencer is having a good season but he's got two penalties in the first half, both neutral zone infractions.