Kicker lifts Marcus over Flower Mound in OT

FLOWER MOUND, Texas -- As the seconds ticked away in the fourth quarter, senior Drew Hamrick paced back and forth, almost in a secluded area on the sidelines. All the Flower Mound Marcus kicker wanted was another chance to be clutch for his team.

After missing a field goal to tie the game late in the fourth quarter, Hamrick not only found redemption late by making a game-tying field goal but also kicked the game-winning extra point in overtime to lift Marcus to a 38-37, come-from-behind win against Flower Mound in the game dubbed the Mound Showdown at Marcus Marauders Stadium.

“I don’t even believe it right now. I just wanted a second chance, and I got it,” Hamrick said. “I can’t ask for anything else. This was the greatest game of my life.”

With roughly two minutes left to play, Hamrick missed a 34-yard try wide left that would have tied the game at 31. After holding Flower Mound on the ensuing drive, No. 8 Marcus (5-0, 2-0 in 8-5A) put itself in position for a final attempt to tie, setting Hamrick up with a 36-yard attempt. With four seconds left, Hamrick split the uprights, eventually sending the game into overtime.

Flower Mound (1-4, 0-2) managed to score first in the overtime period, as Marshall Williams connected with Cole McKeel on a 16-yard touchdown pass. The PAT, however, was blocked by Marcus’ Jake Blount, and Flower Mound led, 37-31.

Marcus’ possession featured runs by its tandem of Harvey Giddens and Jeff Smiley, who had more than 450 yards rushing combined. Smiley finished the overtime drive with a 9-yard run to tie the game, and Hamrick gave Marcus the win with the PAT.

Marcus trailed, 31-20, entering the fourth quarter. The Marauders, however, outscored Flower Mound, 11-0, in the quarter with a Giddens 3-yard touchdown run, a blocked punt for a safety by Dylan Ward and the all-important field goal by Hamrick.

“I’m just emotional right now,” Giddens said. “This is a crazy win. Our team fought hard. We gave everything we had in the fourth quarter, and we took over in overtime. We just don’t stop fighting.”

As for Hamrick’s performance, Giddens was to the point.

“He made it when it mattered. That’s all that matters," he said.

Hamrick’s efforts were only part of a show that featured multiple highlights for both teams. Giddens rushed 32 times for 241 yards and three touchdowns, while Smiley rushed 21 times for 213 yards and two scores.

Flower Mound was led by quarterback Marshall Williams, who threw for 438 yards and five touchdowns. Beau LaFave caught six passes for 201 yards and three touchdowns.